1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My newest acquisition! Colt 6" blued Python, late 80's/early 90's vintage. It came with the Colt Rubber grips, but I got a set of unfinished Bastogne Walnut from Culina Grips (Kurac) for it.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Then you don't want to know what I paid for it :)
I do! :)

The latest American Rifleman has an article of just how high the prices for Colt 'snakes' have gone.

25yrs ago , I paid $550 for a like new 1960* Colt Python with original fully checkered grips. The dealer threw in a Colt belt buckle and Python tie tack to sweeten the deal. * Didn't realize till I got it home it was made the same year I was born! :rock:

I could probably sell the grips alone for $550 today!

He also had a NIB 6in .22 Diamondback for $500 , which I foolishly passed on. I did buy a 4in .22 Diamondback last year. I paid considerably more than $500 though!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, yeah, I bought the Python on Monday and got the Am. Rifleman mag later that week.

Oh, I paid $600 :p Guy may have the box and a scope mount for it, too. He moved recently, so some stuff got put in storage. Supposedly it was a reps gun or something like that for the trade shows.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
WOW!

$600 , you stole it. Haven't seen one under $1000 in years. Especially in that nice shape. Most LNIB guns I see from the 80s-90s are well over $2000.

The last 8in Python Hunter kit I saw was tagged at $5000!

I would never put a scope mount on and risk that beautiful finish.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Great price on a great gun. I have seen people scalping prices (greedy) on these, still once in a while we see them being sold for decent prices. Yours seem to be in fantastic shape, congratulations.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the guy told his friends about it earlier and wanted $750, but I guess no one had the cash, so he later dropped it to $600 when I heard about it. I figured it was a "shooter" grade and was surprised at the shape it was in, much better than I had thought! The scope mount I guess replaces the rear sight, so it shouldn't mar the finish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts