1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a lightly used RO in 9mm and getting very poor groups with it. I'm talking about four inch groups at 10 yds. Groups at 25 yds. are all over the place. All shooting was from a rest. I have an RO in .45 that is very accurate and wanted a 9mm that shot the same. The bore looks good. The front and rear barrel fit up are equal to my .45 RO.
All ammo was 115 grain factory and reloads that shoot great in my Glock and Beretta. The gun fires and functions reliably.
Has anybody had a problem like this? Did SA have a bad batch of barrels?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Call Springfield, if the pistol is defective, they'll fix it and send it back. IMO the best customer service in the industry.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm getting a new RO in 9mm probably tomorrow. I hope this is a one off issue. I had a similar issue with an M&P Pro 9mm, took a new match barrel to resolve the issue.
I'd do as suggested and call Springfield to see what they say.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Make sure the sights are secure and not moving around in their dovetails. I know the .45 ROs had problems with the rear sight coming loose and moving around. My rear sight slipped out completely while I was inserting a magazine.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Agree with others about calling Springfield. You mentioned buying it lightly used, did the previous owner experience the same issues or did they modify anything ?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Call SA, My 9mm RO groups are less than half yours off hand. I had some function issues when I first started shooting it (light primer strikes, magazine issues) after that very accurate and dependable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took your advice and called SA. They sent a shipping label via email in just a matter of minutes and the gun is already on it's way. They didn't even care that I wasn't the original owner.
I'll post another message when I get it back.

Thanks

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm getting a new RO in 9mm probably tomorrow. I hope this is a one off issue. I had a similar issue with an M&P Pro 9mm, took a new match barrel to resolve the issue.
I'd do as suggested and call Springfield to see what they say.
Picked up the new RO in 9mm yesterday. Right out of the box it's one of the best shooting pistols I've ever bought.
Can't wait until I get some time to work on it.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I took your advice and called SA. They sent a shipping label via email in just a matter of minutes and the gun is already on it's way. They didn't even care that I wasn't the original owner.
I'll post another message when I get it back.

Thanks
…and that's why SA Customer Service is often referred to as premium example regardless of industry/market. i hope it's a simple fix and you're back at the range soon.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I think the only thing SA could do to improve their CS is to have a SAR on line, monitoring the forums and providing answers. Kinda like Wilson Combat. WCR is ever present.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have some 115gr reloads that I shot through my brand new RO yesterday and it was dead on at 5 yards even with rapid fire. Some his were in the same hole. Can't say that about my other hand guns.. I was thoroughly impressed with it. Hopefully SA can help solve your issue fast!

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
The RO should be able to do that at 25 yards.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why would it do that at that yardage? It's a good pistol,but not a match gun?
It's nothing more than a mil-sup with adjustable sights. It does not have a match barrel or fitted bushing.
Damn good gun for the money...as long as you only have that expectation...

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
The Range Officer is designed to give the shooter exceptional quality, at an affordable price. One of the goals was to create a pistol that is acceptable in many different styles of shooting competitions, so the shooter can decide which one he likes most. It is built with the same quality as the TRP and Trophy Match models, but Springfield has removed the "extras" that result in a higher price.
It's everything you need in a competition model, at an affordable price, and easily upgradable for your future needs.
That same logic could be used to say the TRP is a milspec with better sights.
G&A says they use the same barrel and bushing found on the TRP and Trophy Match pistols. Even Springfield's own bulletin points list the barrel as being a stainless match barrel.

Now I assume that is true. I shot my Brother in law's with my own match loads and turned in inch and a quarter groups rested at 25 yards. It was accurate enough that I ordered one for myself. I could never get that with my other Springfields.

Reactions: aguns

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I have some 115gr reloads that I shot through my brand new RO yesterday and it was dead on at 5 yards even with rapid fire. Some his were in the same hole. Can't say that about my other hand guns!
5 yards made me think of this video. Make sure you pay attention at 44 seconds in. I think he's about 3 yards.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGJT38HJaHg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the Range Officer back. It was gone about two weeks. SA's service was excellant. They said they tightened the slide to frame fit and enclosed a test target that was around a three inch group at 25 yds. with 124 grain ammo. I wasn't able to duplicate it with 115 gr.ammo. It shoots better than it did, but not in the same league as my .45 RO. I'll try heavier bullets and get back to you guys.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did you ever find the accuracy you were looking for out of your 9mm RO? I'm considering sending mine off to Springfield's custom shop for their accurizing package.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently purchased a lightly used RO in 9mm and getting very poor groups with it. I'm talking about four inch groups at 10 yds. Groups at 25 yds. are all over the place. All shooting was from a rest. I have an RO in .45 that is very accurate and wanted a 9mm that shot the same. The bore looks good. The front and rear barrel fit up are equal to my .45 RO.
All ammo was 115 grain factory and reloads that shoot great in my Glock and Beretta. The gun fires and functions reliably.
Has anybody had a problem like this? Did SA have a bad batch of barrels?

Thanks
Just bought one. Very poor accuracy. 16" @ 25 yds benched. Returned to springfield. Sent back to me with target demonstrating 5" 5-shot group. I again could only get 16" groups using winchester factory and 3 bullet types of my reloads. I realize this voids factory warranty, but if it won't shoot hand loads it's of no use to me. I have wilson 45 pro that groups 2-3 inches and a stock Colt CCO that does 5-6 inches. This is advertised as a competition pistol. A disappointment at best. Certainly couldn't recommend this to anyone. I notice others' accuracy remarks refer 7-10 yds. Pea shooters shoot well at arms length ranges. Cycling was nearly 100 percent with break in needed. Due to tight lockup. Had to push slide to close ocassionally. About 400 round thru it. Still sticky but OK. gave up on it though. I'm getting rid of it due to intolerable accuracy.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts