1911Forum banner

Poor accuracy in 9mm Range Officer

71K views 110 replies 44 participants last post by  404marsh 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a lightly used RO in 9mm and getting very poor groups with it. I'm talking about four inch groups at 10 yds. Groups at 25 yds. are all over the place. All shooting was from a rest. I have an RO in .45 that is very accurate and wanted a 9mm that shot the same. The bore looks good. The front and rear barrel fit up are equal to my .45 RO.
All ammo was 115 grain factory and reloads that shoot great in my Glock and Beretta. The gun fires and functions reliably.
Has anybody had a problem like this? Did SA have a bad batch of barrels?

Thanks

#4 ·
I'm getting a new RO in 9mm probably tomorrow. I hope this is a one off issue. I had a similar issue with an M&P Pro 9mm, took a new match barrel to resolve the issue.
I'd do as suggested and call Springfield to see what they say.

#11 ·
I think the only thing SA could do to improve their CS is to have a SAR on line, monitoring the forums and providing answers. Kinda like Wilson Combat. WCR is ever present.

#30 ·
I think the only thing SA could do to improve their CS is to have a SAR on line, monitoring the forums and providing answers. Kinda like Wilson Combat. WCR is present.

So true

#12 ·
I have some 115gr reloads that I shot through my brand new RO yesterday and it was dead on at 5 yards even with rapid fire. Some his were in the same hole. Can't say that about my other hand guns.. I was thoroughly impressed with it. Hopefully SA can help solve your issue fast!

#16 ·
I have some 115gr reloads that I shot through my brand new RO yesterday and it was dead on at 5 yards even with rapid fire. Some his were in the same hole. Can't say that about my other hand guns!
5 yards made me think of this video. Make sure you pay attention at 44 seconds in. I think he's about 3 yards.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGJT38HJaHg

#14 ·
Why would it do that at that yardage? It's a good pistol,but not a match gun?
It's nothing more than a mil-sup with adjustable sights. It does not have a match barrel or fitted bushing.
Damn good gun for the money...as long as you only have that expectation...

#15 ·
The Range Officer is designed to give the shooter exceptional quality, at an affordable price. One of the goals was to create a pistol that is acceptable in many different styles of shooting competitions, so the shooter can decide which one he likes most. It is built with the same quality as the TRP and Trophy Match models, but Springfield has removed the "extras" that result in a higher price.
It's everything you need in a competition model, at an affordable price, and easily upgradable for your future needs.
That same logic could be used to say the TRP is a milspec with better sights.
G&A says they use the same barrel and bushing found on the TRP and Trophy Match pistols. Even Springfield's own bulletin points list the barrel as being a stainless match barrel.

Now I assume that is true. I shot my Brother in law's with my own match loads and turned in inch and a quarter groups rested at 25 yards. It was accurate enough that I ordered one for myself. I could never get that with my other Springfields.

Reactions: aguns
#17 ·
I got the Range Officer back. It was gone about two weeks. SA's service was excellant. They said they tightened the slide to frame fit and enclosed a test target that was around a three inch group at 25 yds. with 124 grain ammo. I wasn't able to duplicate it with 115 gr.ammo. It shoots better than it did, but not in the same league as my .45 RO. I'll try heavier bullets and get back to you guys.

#20 ·
Just bought one. Very poor accuracy. 16" @ 25 yds benched. Returned to springfield. Sent back to me with target demonstrating 5" 5-shot group. I again could only get 16" groups using winchester factory and 3 bullet types of my reloads. I realize this voids factory warranty, but if it won't shoot hand loads it's of no use to me. I have wilson 45 pro that groups 2-3 inches and a stock Colt CCO that does 5-6 inches. This is advertised as a competition pistol. A disappointment at best. Certainly couldn't recommend this to anyone. I notice others' accuracy remarks refer 7-10 yds. Pea shooters shoot well at arms length ranges. Cycling was nearly 100 percent with break in needed. Due to tight lockup. Had to push slide to close ocassionally. About 400 round thru it. Still sticky but OK. gave up on it though. I'm getting rid of it due to intolerable accuracy.

#61 ·
Sounds more like a trigger control problem and if the slide it that tight
the pistol has not even broken in yet . I think you are used to a lighter
trigger like on your Wilson pro . If you had a trigger that was 3 1/2 lbs
instead of 5 to 6 lbs like on the RO . I bet you would shoot it way better .

AND the pistol is NOT advertised as a competition pistol. Its advertised
as :
When we introduced the 1911 Range Officer® for the competitive shooter,
we were surprised at the response. Serious shooters who care about the
details welcomed the precision features that made the Range Officer®
perform far beyond its price tag.

Meaning the competitive shooter can modify the pistol to his or her needs
cheaper because the base pistol has a low price tag .

TO think a 800.00 pistol is going to compete with a 3000 Wilson or 1200
Colt without any mods is crazy .

#22 ·
Thread is almost 3 years old.

By and large everyone's been posting very good accuracy results with their RO 9mm.

Enough that I was encouraged to finally get one....my only 9mm 1911.

I've only tried two handed grip, standing at 7 yrds and have been very pleased....even with the gritty trigger reset travel....I know I can tap into some serious potential with this gun for very little money or effort.

One of these days I'll get to an outdoor range with a bench and shoot from a rest and try some of the 25yd group shooting that folks do. It's never been a big draw for me in the past, however, I'm curious to see what this gun will do.

#24 ·
I contacted Springfield Armory about the accuracy of my 9mm Range Officer 1911. I was told that it should group 3-1/2" at 25 yards out of a rest shooting Federal American Eagle 124g FMJ. The best group I could fire with this ammunition was 6", with most groups being considerably larger. I was told I could send the pistol in for warranty work.

I developed a reload, using a 124g HAP bullet and HS-6, that will shoot 2-5/16" groups at 25 yards, with some groups opening up to 3", so I did not send it in for warranty work.

Good luck with your pistol.

#25 ·
That is superb accuracy. My first 50 rounds were S&B 115 grain fmj and since then I've been using Campro plated 124 grain over W231 which usually is quite accurate. I tried minimum load and maximum load. Long and short coal and nothing printed good. I used the exact same ammo in another 9mm 1911 and printed a one ragged hole group at 15 yards. That's when I decided to send it in. I hope they find something to fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.