1911Forum banner

POOR customer service from STI

2568 Views 24 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Paul Perez
I guess that I shouldn't really say that I've gotten poor service...I've gotten none at all.

The situation:

I bought a NIB BLS-9 back in September (or maybe it was late August). Unlike most of my gun purchases, this one sat around a little while before I got to shoot it. When I did, my heart broke. VERY unreliable. No sweat, though. I'd heard that the BLS-9 had problems with the magazines shipped from STI but that STI would make it good and had on several occasions. There were even stories from the gun store where I purchased the pistol in addition to internet stories, so I though that I was good to go.

No such luck.

I e-mail STI and talked to a guy on the phone. He says that he's going to ship a magazine to me to see if that solves the problem. I wait and wait. No magazine. I've taken a new job and am traveling quite a bit and unable to shoot like I used to so I hold off and hold off. November rolls around and still no magazine.

I e-mail them and call them again. I talk to the same guy (I think it's the same guy) and he says that he has no record of me calling or e-mailing but that he'll get a magazine out to me ASAP. The rest of November and a few days in December come around and still no magazine.

Well, I e-mail every e-mail address for STI that I can find with my story a few days ago and what do I get? Nothing. No response.

Piss-poor customer service. Or, really, no customer service at all. I can't even say that they tried and failed. They didn't try at all.

Now I have a gun that I'm going to have to pay MORE for than what I should have just to get it working properly. Maybe new magazines will do it and maybe not. If I don't get it working, I can't sell it in good conscience but if I don't then it's just an expensive paperweight.

Thanks, STI, for the wonderful experience.:barf: :barf: :barf:
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,235 Posts
I've had the opposite experience with STI. One problem I had was a 140mm mag for the 2011 having a chunk break out of the front. I sent a picture in an email and was told to send it back for a replacement. I did have to call once after waiting two weeks and a new one was delivered in 3 days. The second issue I had was a thumb safety break. I communicated via email to ask if their thumb safety part was under warranty, (this was on an STI pistol), and they said it was. They offered me the choice of sending the gun back and have them replace it, or send me a replacement part. I've received the replacement part and am fitting it now.

· aka T. Freeman
8,435 Posts
hdm25 said:
Well, I e-mail every e-mail address for STI that I can find with my story a few days ago and what do I get? Nothing. No response.
Pick up the telephone and ask for Chris.

If its enough of an issue to post here, wouldnt it be worth a phone call?

· Registered
1,273 Posts
I have had a few frustrating breaking in issues with STIs, but I have to say that when I sent my gun back, I got a lengthy e-mail from Dave Skinner outlining what he thought the operative issues were.

I called him back once or twice and easily reached him and thanked him for taking a personal interest in my gun.

STI did not remedy the problem (my local gunsmith did), but I don't expect perfection from STI, just effort.

I am not saying that you are expecting perfection, because the gun should work and STI shouldn't drop the ball.

I have bought several subsequent STIs and one or 2 of them had some issues getting dialed in properly.

Nonetheless, I will keep buying them as funds permit and as long as they keep making such good looking and shooting weapons.

Good luck.

· Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom Freeman said:
Pick up the telephone and ask for Chris.

If its enough of an issue to post here, wouldnt it be worth a phone call?

It's been worth a couple of calls and many e-mails.

Your tone is somewhat disapproving. If you had been ignored for months (or outright lied to), would you not be somewhat frustrated and skeptical of whether or not any further effort would be met with anything but what it was met with in the past?:scratch:

· Registered
499 Posts
STI customer service

STI's CS was nothing but very good to me. You call them and talk to Chris, he will just say send the gun in and they will fix it in a week. You only pay 1-way shipping. I would rank them #2 after Smith&Wesson CS.

· Registered
901 Posts
I've always had positive experiences with STI as well. Dave Skinner and especially the sales staff John and Laurie could not have been easier or more of a pleasure to deal with. With the exception of the smoke filled haze in their offices, I have been beyond pleased with STI. Note: I understand that the offices were never intended to be open to the public but good Lord, vent the smoke before the sprinklers go off!! :rofl:

· Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys must not have read my post very well or at all. I've ALREADY talked to someone at STI twice and gotten absolutely nothing.

· Registered
816 Posts
hdm25 said:
You guys must not have read my post very well or at all. I've ALREADY talked to someone at STI twice and gotten absolutely nothing.

sometimes the ball is dropped more than once, and no Im not defending STI lack of follow thru. Like you stated this isnt your first experience buying 1911s and sometimes one must expect the unexpected, as in your case.

Im sure they will make it right, post a follow up once you have the results you seek.

· Super Moderator
713 Posts
hdm25 has accepted my offer and I will get him some help on Monday. Everybody drops the ball every once in a while (sometimes even twice in a row) it then becomes important how you take care of things from there. I have confidence that STI will solve the problem to hdm25's satisfaction. Until then let's just wait to see what happens.

· Registered
207 Posts
With Bob on the case, you needn't worry. However, in the future, call and speak with Chris. He gets stuff done, period. One bad egg at STI isn't reason to condemn the whole company. Given the experiences of others (myself included) with people at STI, it is one bad egg. AFA email goes, they probably receive thousands of 'em a day. Yours probably got lost in the shuffle.

· Registered
901 Posts
hdm25 said:
WE mays nots be very smurt and allz but I thinks sumeun needs to relacks and take the advize givun.... :dope: Yes, the thread was read clearly and we are merely voicing our opinion and advice. Is that not the point of a forum like this? Instead of just being content with flaming STI and leaving it at that, how about letting us help resolve your $1000 paperweight problem. Call Brazos Customs, they WILL be able to help you. :)

· Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ended up with the BLS-9 unable to EVER function effectively so the people at STI were going to tool up and build a new one for me. That was a little extreme PLUS I was turned off by the BLS-9 by now, anyway, so Chris and I worked out a deal for a Ranger II in 9mm to be pulled from inventory and sent my way. Having only recently moved to Texas, it was a couple of weeks before I could pick it up from the dealer (waiting on a drivers license). Finally got to the range this morning and, with trepidation, I started shooting....

I've always heard that 9mm Commanders were sweet guns but I had no real idea! I LOVE this Ranger II! Although everything started out bad and very frustrating, I've ended up satisfied in my dealings with STI and will most likely buy from them again.

· Administrator
13,349 Posts
Thanks for reporting back . Glad things worked out . Maybe post a pic of your new baby when you're able .

STI is good people ! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.