1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to believe the same people who designed this delightful CCW are responsible for the magazines. Made the mistake of touching the front of the follower while cleaning, and the thing made an unprovoked attack. Follower and spring went 'Kaboh-ing' and hit the ceiling - just ahead of me!

Someone suggested taking a big hammer to it/them. Should I give them one more chance? I think I'll just have to add the cost of another couple of Wilsons to the cost of a new CCW.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Gee, I have to work hard to take my single stacks apart while cleaning them and you get a push button model. I'm jealous.

Seriously do all your PO CCW mags do that? I had a colt mag that did that but the spring didn't come all the way out so I saw that the spring had been put in backwards. Put it back together correctly and see if that helps. If it doesn't then it makes me wonder who makes the mags for PO.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Given up on Para Mags

As far as single stacks go, I've just about given up on Para mags. The original for my Para Companion had a flat metal follower that rocked all over the place and was nothing but trouble. Sent the gun and mag back to para for reliability issues. They throated and polished the ramp/barrel and replaced the mag with a (newer?) unit that had a plastic follower. Similar to the followers in Wilson's.

The para mag is still unreliable as the rounds seem to nosedive. The Wilson's are 100% solid. The springs in the Wilson's are waaaay stiff and I think that might be the weak link in the para mag. I plan on buying a replacement spring for the para mag and should resolve my issue, but there's no way I'd carry the stock mag on a CCW piece. Unfortunately with a double stack, you might not have the option of trying many different manufacturers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ordered Spring and Follower Only....

....from Chip Mc Cormick as suggested elsewhere. This after playing phone tag with Para Warranty.

I'll be writing a letter to Mr Kerby Smith, their Public Affairs Head, at <[email protected]> because they are letting the reputation of a fine pistol be tarnished by ignoring (IMHO):( the inadequacy of their single stack mag design. The 'Rocking' and instability of the follower could be fixed easily and inexpensively.

All he has to do is:
1) Look in this forum to find dis-satisfied customers, and

2) Look at Colt or CMC to see the difference.

It wouldn't hurt either if their Warranty people returned phone calls promptly.

Merry X'mas to all!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plastic Follower from Para.

Heard from Para Warranty today and they are sending me a couple of PLASTIC followers for my new single stack mags...to replace the metal ones. Be interesting to see how they compare with Wilson's.

Anyone tried them?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Anyone that's followed this board for a while knows that I'm not shy about criticizing Para when I feel its appropriate, but I'll also stand up for them when its true. I can honestly say that I've never had one problem with any of Para's mags, and I've shot them a LOT, even shooting IDPA. (except when I tried putting a P14 mag in a P10)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Problem with Function Either.

Berger in Oklahoma,

Thanks for your reply. The more I shoot this CCW, the better I like it and I'm relieved to hear from you that 'Paras' stand up to use. (I introduced a friend to our local range couple of days ago and after he shot some tryout guns, I gave him my CCW to use. The smile on his face would have been worth a fortune to Para.)

You have had no trouble with Mags....I could say the same thing as far as my, (very limited amount of) shooting goes. The gun and mags have functioned fine; not one FTF, or FT-anything... in 300 rounds... right out the box!

As I've noted, one came apart while wiping it down. However after putting back together it shot four loads without a hitch! (I just don't plan on cleaning it or its partner any time soon:) .

The Para warranty people were very pleasant... I got two plastic Followers from them yesterday. I broke one of them while inserting it into the shell. I, no doubt, have some responsibility but these new Followers are definitely fragile.

The same post had brought two Spring and Follower sets from CMC. They now reside securely in the Para shells and that is where they will stay...... A mixed start to the New Year!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
BURGER
--------------------------------------------------

(except when I tried putting a P14 mag in a P10)

-------------------------------------------------

Do you know if a P12 mag will work in a P10 ?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
No, I don't know. I only own a P14 and P10.
------------------------------------------------
Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Single Stack Magazine Followers

From what I understand, Para stopped producing the metal single stack mag followers sometime in early 2003. They were replaced with a "Full Bodied" composite design.
I'm sure that if you contact Para, they will replace your metal followers with composite ones.

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
My still in the box Para CCW has the same magazines, I just confimed both are the "exploding" type.

I think I have some different followers somewhere........

-- Chukc

·
Registered
54 Posts
yep I got the exploding type mags with my c745, purchesed yesterday (1-18-04). The wife is going to have a fit when I tell her I need to buy two mags to replace them. I can hear it now," you spent how much and now you need more?". I may call Para and see what they've come up with first.

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
I did call Para after I posted my last note and they've mailed me three (3) of the new design followers. They're plastic and a different shape.

The originals work flawlessly. You just gotta be careful loading that first round into the magazine.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tatters,

If the plastic followers that Para provides work for you ...great. I hope you enjoy shooting your new Para as much as I do. It is a delight and I am now looking seriously at a C6.45 for carry. (I think it is going to feel nice and solid like my old Officer's Model but...dare I say...a better carry option for me.)

Anyway, just for your information: A replacement set of spring-and-follower from CMC (or Wilson), cost me about $10. The original Para shells and lips looked very good to me.

I don't mean that the para followers won't work. They have in my gun.
But for $10 I have peace of mind - not unimportant around guns.

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
The pair of Wilson Combat magazines I have work well too.

I don't like the 3-1/2" bbl as it gives up too much velocity and the extra 3/4" in the CCW is all below the belt line anyway, hence the Para CCW rather than the Para Companion Carry Option for me.

I have removed the full length recoil spring guide rod as a needless complication to a proven design.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chuck,
Don't disagree with you...that's why I bought a "CCW" myself.

However the carry gun I'm looking at is the 3" bbl. with1/4 " smaller grip. I've seen it called the "Para Carry" and also seen it called "C6.45"...confusing.

I admit that most knowledgeable/professional gun people recommend nothing shorter than 4 1/4" bbl. but....as time goes by since the last time I bought a gun....that cute little thing is calling me.

...And a number of people on this Forum seem to be happy with them.

(Aside... Did you notice that Kahr just brought out their PM40...about the size of a PM9 - another 3" choice)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got my LDA C745 a few days ago, right out of the box I see the crappy mags. A real disapointment. I will be calling them also. The gun seems fine, the single stack mags are junk.

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
The Para Carry is the C6.45 LDA with a 3" bbl

Para Companion is the C7.45 3.5"

Para Companion Carry Option is CC7.45 3.5"

Para CCW is CCW7.45 4.25"

The first is a very short frame with a magazine only holding 6 rounds, the last 3 use the "officers model" frame and magazines. The last two are "hammerless" with no beavertail.

Nice of Para Ordnance to give them all such similar model numbers, I had to have my distributor personally verify the barrel length on my Para CCW before he sent it to my FFL.

See the Para Carry Safe page in the Para Ordnance catalog.

Only thing I find fault with the magazines is the errant follower. The magazines themselves work perfectly and are flush with the bottom of the magazine well.

Short barrels? I think my Taurus PT145 has a 3" bbl. Shots fine and is 10+1.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Chuck S said:
The Para Carry is the C6.45 LDA with a 3" bbl

Para Companion is the C7.45 3.5"

Para Companion Carry Option is CC7.45 3.5"

Para CCW is CCW7.45 4.25"

The first is a very short frame with a magazine only holding 6 rounds, the last 3 use the "officers model" frame and magazines. The last two are "hammerless" with no beavertail.

Nice of Para Ordnance to give them all such similar model numbers, I had to have my distributor personally verify the barrel length on my Para CCW before he sent it to my FFL.

See the Para Carry Safe page in the Para Ordnance catalog.

Only thing I find fault with the magazines is the errant follower. The magazines themselves work perfectly and are flush with the bottom of the magazine well.

Short barrels? I think my Taurus PT145 has a 3" bbl. Shots fine and is 10+1.

-- Chuck
The mags for the single stacks do not work ---- I do not care what the barrel length is

1 - 20 of 26 Posts