1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of trading around I ended up getting a Glock 19C Gen 2 back I had sold a friend earlier. It just so happens I have a specific purpose for a G19. To be a companion piece to my PAK-9 with brace with the Glock magwell insert. Some other considerations as well for the G19. It just happened that the 19C Gen 2 was obtainable now and I do prefer the Gen 2 layout. It also happened to have the Grip Force Adapter I had put on it before so that saved time and expense.

Being compensated and killing some time on the computer since I won't get the range this week I went checking out videos on the subject. I came across a 2012 video that I almost didn't check due to an old fart moment. The kid doing the video is a stocky fellow and relatively young. Adult, but definitely several decades distant from me. However, the young man took an articulate, intelligent, and straight forward approach to the subject. He made some good points and comparisons.

Will ported guns blind you at night.

How many people will tell you that a ported barrel will blind you while they are carrying 2.5" .357 Mag. ;)

Anyway, I found it a short and well done video. Also given as pointed out, modern SD ammo is formulated to be low flash. Like the guy mentioned in the video, the big downside for me is how fast the front sight gets dirty.

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
The problem is that an image captured on a cameras is NOT the same as an image captured by human eyes.
If you shoot 24 frames per second and each frame is an exposure of 1/1,000 of a second, that is only a total of 24/1,000 second (0.024 second) for the camera actually looking at the scene per second.
What happens in the other 0.976 of that second is not captured.
Opening a shutter, firing the gun, then closing the shutter at least captures more time.
Though film does not match the human eye.

·
Administrator
71,903 Posts
Being blinded by the flash of a ported gun doesn't concern me. The flash is too brief to have much effect on your vision. A bigger concern with ported guns is what happens when you have to use it at contact distance and you end up firing it with the ports directed up at your face, such as if you're seated in your vehicle and have to use it against somebody reaching through the window to grab onto you.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
being blinded by the flash of a ported gun doesn't concern me. The flash is too brief to have much effect on your vision. A bigger concern with ported guns is what happens when you have to use it at contact distance and you end up firing it with the ports directed up at your face, such as if you're seated in your vehicle and have to use it against somebody reaching through the window to grab onto you.
+1

·
Registered
549 Posts
Being blinded by the flash of a ported gun doesn't concern me. The flash is too brief to have much effect on your vision. A bigger concern with ported guns is what happens when you have to use it at contact distance and you end up firing it with the ports directed up at your face, such as if you're seated in your vehicle and have to use it against somebody reaching through the window to grab onto you.
+2

I haven't noticed distinct recoil reduction benefits from the admittedly very few ported handguns I've tried out. I don't wish for any more openings in the firearm than necessary, emitting propellant gases or spitting particles. Porting's good for someone else to have and use.

Funny thing is, revolvers emit too and I've long ago made my peace with their characteristics. Hmmm ... sounds hypocritical.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's pretty much my only concern as well. Of course if you are firing in a car and shooting a revolver at someone (carjacker, etc.) at the window the gun will be uncomfortably close to your face and body as well.

The "ported guns will ruin your night vision" that gets regurgitated is lame though.

I may just swap out the barrel for a non-ported later, but for now I'll risk the beard. Less mess to clean that way. ;D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yep.

·
Super Moderator
14,053 Posts
dsk makes a very valid point about catching the hot gases at a very odd angle, one which could occur at close distances or very confined spaces. I learned long ago that "flash signature" has a lot to do with flash suppressants used on the powder and the kind of celluloid material used to make the powder. For example, cotton-based nitrocellulose has a lower flash signature by nature than wood-based cellulose.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
This is one instance where flinching and closing your eyes on the shot might be useful :)

Joke....

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
A friend had a 4 inch model 29 magnaported, I couldn't tell any difference. My friend said he could but it wasn't a lot. A typical revolver doesn't have enough cylinder to barrel gap to even be considered with porting. I suppose I don't care one way or the other, I wouldn't spend my money to port a gun but I wouldn't turn a gun down that I liked because it was ported.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose I don't care one way or the other, I wouldn't spend my money to port a gun but I wouldn't turn a gun down that I liked because it was ported.
Pretty much this. I don't look for ported guns, but this one I got once in a trade. I liked that it was a Gen 2 and the Gen 2 19C was only made for about a year. But... I sold it to a friend later to fund another gun. Time moved forward and I found myself with a use for a Glock 19. It just so happened I had a gun I was wanting/willing to move along that fit in with the friend's plans so it came home.

I'd have been happy if it wasn't ported, but I'm fine with it because it has everything else that fits what I wanted nicely. It even has the Grip Force Adapter on it that I put on it the first time I had it.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I'm not concerned about firing in a vehicle with a ported 1911. I just wouldn't get a defensive gun ported . Although, I am considering getting a range queen 9mm I'm building ported.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
There are issues with ported guns for both flash and risk of injury using them in really close proximity with yourself, at least with my 32c.....the ports measurably reduce sight deflection and show an increase in times vs a 19 even but it can't be used in extremely close retention shots.

I prefer comps since they don't have these issues and are more effective at slight deflection resistance and recovery speed and don't come with a velocity penalty.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
That's pretty much my only concern as well. Of course if you are firing in a car and shooting a revolver at someone (carjacker, etc.) at the window the gun will be uncomfortably close to your face and body as well.

The "ported guns will ruin your night vision" that gets regurgitated is lame though.

I may just swap out the barrel for a non-ported later, but for now I'll risk the beard. Less mess to clean that way. ;D
This is one instance where flinching and closing your eyes on the shot might be useful

Joke....
You joke but........the headliner in my practice car says otherwise. It flames up stuff in close contact

·
Registered
306 Posts
20 years ago I had a Glock 23C that I fired under low light conditions. No problem at all plus getting a standard 23 barrel will make it non ported. I wish I hadn't traded that gun, I liked it. OTOH 95% or better of the times I have shot my Glock 32 has been with that 23 barrel that I kept when I traded the 23C.

And BTW Amos I do have a 3" barrel SP101 and it certainly does out flash any of my 40s, 9mms or 45s.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a Glock 19c
Ammo makes a difference, self defense ammo loaded with low flash powder aint the same as target ammo that isnt; I shot in low light to compare.
I'd have no concern carrying that 19C with low flash ammo.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I don't like ported guns. more noise, slightly less recoil, fired close to your body you get gas up into your face. I know this from firing a friends ported 4" 29!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The word is “WOW !”

Makes me want to take my 45-70 trapdoor out for a firing at dusk, it’s amazing how much smoke comes out of that thing, I can only imagine the fireball would be impressive as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts