1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reading a report published by the FBI called, "The School Shooter: A THREAT ASSESSMENT PERSPECTIVE". It's a little old but it was a new read for me from the FBI web site.

http://www.fbi.gov/publications/school/school2.pdf

It was an interesting read and demonstrated a surprising lack of bias towards firearms. I'll include a few quotes that I enjoyed from the 57 page report.

Under the intense spotlight of national media coverage, a tragedy such as the Columbine
High School shooting spreads horror, shock, and fear to every corner of the country. Educators,
mental health professionals, legislators, law enforcement officers, parents, students, and the rest of
the public all share a sense of frustration and helplessness and a compulsion to take some quick
action that can prevent similar incidents in the future. Though understandable, this impulse can
lead communities to forget the wisdom of H. L. Mencken's aphorism: "For every problem, there is
a solution which is simple, neat, and wrong." In a knee-jerk reaction, communities may resort to
inflexible, one-size-fits-all policies on preventing or reacting to violence.

In the wake of a school shooting there is often an outcry for immediate response in the
form of more stringent security precautions in schools or stricter laws aimed at school violence.
However, these demands have been accompanied by little if any concerted and organized effort to
understand the roots of school shooting incidents.

News coverage magnifies a number of widespread but wrong or unverified impressions of
school shooters. Among them are:
• School violence is an epidemic.
• All school shooters are alike.
• The school shooter is always a loner.
• School shootings are exclusively revenge motivated.
• Easy access to weapons is THE most significant risk factor.
Unusual or aberrant behaviors, interests, hobbies, etc., are hallmarks of the student
destined to become violent.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
The FBI quoting HL Mencken? Ive just about seen it all now.

mr_dove said:
• Easy access to weapons is THE most significant risk factor.
Really? Then why didnt we see more of these incidents in the days when students took guns to school legally?

I dunno about anyone else but I think it *just might* be something about the students that is the single most significat risk factor.

Its nice, although very suprising, to see the FBI debunking this lie so often pushed by the media.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Really? Then why didnt we see more of these incidents in the days when students took guns to school legally?
Excellent point. My dad tells me that his high school would have annual shooting competitions, and he & his buddies would bring their shotguns to school and store them in their lockers. This was in rural Idaho in the late 1960s, but for some reason, nobody ever went on a rampage. I wonder why? :rolleyes:

Of course, I'm pretty sure those days are long gone, even in Idaho.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Depends on what you define as long gone. A guy I go to church with and his sons lived in Idaho in the 80s and they used to hunt after school. The dad taught at the same school so it made it nice and convenient.

Schools have really gone downhill fast in this country.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Here they're pretty damn anal about guns in the schools.

They'll grant permission if you have legitimate need to carry in most cases, and gun shows and whatnot still occur in school gyms.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Guys,

I met Ms. O'Toole, the FBI researcher who authored this study, the week before it was released. We had an interesting talk, and she is actually quite nice, level-headed, and conversant on the subject of her study. At no time did I get the impression she was anti-gun, anti-second amendment, etc. Rather, she took a fairly deliberate stance for those issues.

That said, regarding the elements ya'll are discussing ("News coverage magnifies a number of widespread but wrong or unverified impressions of school shooters. Among them are: • Easy access to weapons is THE most significant risk factor."), Ms. O'Toole and I agreed then (and I still believe this) that the problem is definitely not easy access to firearms, but social and family dynamic problems in these kids (e.g., their parents, ne'er-do-well companions, etc.), exacerbated by ignorant, knee-jerk responses from those who present themselves as rational, educated leaders who, as we all know, have our best interests at heart.

:barf:

Thanks for letting me share a little history and vent.

Sincerely,

Michael

1 - 6 of 6 Posts