1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Which parts should get plated? - Just the frame and slide, or the internals (barrel, hammer, sear, etc.) as well.

2) Does plating significantly change the dimensions of small parts and holes, pins, dovtails, etc.?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Len,
Have everything plated except the sights, springs & grips
I personally don't do my barrel as I don't want any plating inside the bore. Not an inditement, just my personal preference.
Hard chrome builds up an avaerage of .0002" per surface. It tends to build a little bit more on edges and corners, than on flats.
John

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Precision Gunworks:
Len,
Hard chrome builds up an avaerage of .0002" per surface. It tends to build a little bit more on edges and corners, than on flats.
John
Ok, please bear with me on this. In looking at Kuhnhausen's dimensioned drawings and the tolerances on them, it seems like an average .0002" build up wouldn't be enough to throw the fit of pins, etc. out of whack. E.G. A minimum hammer pin hole in the frame and a max. diameter hammer pin would still go together after plating. Correct?

Also what about surfaces like a fitted sear/hammer or sear/thumb safety. Any concerns there?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts