1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The below data is from the Ithaca shipping records and it raises a question. Today I saw what I though was a nice 98% Ithaca that is within the serial range of the listed guns below. It has an AA stamp, done after finish and the FJA also after finish. Is it a "rebuild" or something that was done at Augusta to newly arrived shipments just after the war? Your opinions! /Ken

Serial Numbers 2619014-2660318 (CONTRACT: W-30-115-ORD-553 Supplement #2)
April 17, 1945 2619014-2619563 550 Transportation Officer - Augusta Arsenal - Augusta, Ga.
2619565 - 2622514 2,950
2622521 - 2622570 50
2622577 - 2624026 1,450
Total 5,000

·
Administrator
72,509 Posts
No, it was mostly likely a pistol that made a return trip to Augusta after the war. I have a blued RS Colt that was never overhauled or refinished, that nevertheless went through RIA and was so stamped along with the flaming bomb and FK marks. It's common to find original-finish pistols with rebuild marks, as whole lots of pistols went through without anyone bothering to pick out which pistols actually needed rebuilding or not. They all went through, and if any looked alright they simply got stamped again and sent on their way.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DSK,
I understand the scenario you set forth but I guess I found it unusual that the pistols 1st stop, " AA" might have been its last stop because of its original condition. I am wondering how common that is among late or post war shipments. And if they were stamped but never rebuilt are the rebuilds? I think they are but couldn't a case can be made they are not. /Ken

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Scott,
Thats already happening. I have seen pistols which I am almost sure based on the finish and parts and the stamp being after finish that I would doubt the aresenal added the mark. In other words I think arsenal rebuilt guns have been faked already.
Ty

·
Administrator
72,509 Posts
I think so too. By taking a gun shop repark and stamping "AA", you can say it's arsenal rebuilt and therefore worth more than a "Joe's Guns" rebuild.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scott.
I liked your remarks about how the Brit proofs and the marks I encountered were similar in the way they got there. Not necessarily indication of a rebuild but a pistol making a passage through an established bureaucracy.

The finish on this Ithaca was original, if it is not we are all at the mercy of someone who could fake a finish so well. I posted the thread because having seen the Ithaca post war shipping records to AA and the pistol with an AA stamp I suspected something unusual.

I have seen plenty of faked parked arsenal maked pistols. A while back it was not unusual to see a heavily parked Essex receivers with arsenal marks and a military slide. Human nature being what it is tells me that anything can happen if there is enough money to be made. /Ken

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Also keep in mind that not all military refinished guns will have any marks on them other than those originally made by the manufacturer and the inspectors. Arsenal refinished are marked by the arsenal doing the work but many other guns have been completely rebuilt and reparked by US Army post level Ordnance shops that had this capability, and were not marked at all.
In the early 1960s I had two US Property military 1911A1s that I used in my military duties and I had both completely rebuilt and reparked by the post Ordnance shop. So it is possible to have a rebuilt 1911A1 with no arsenal markings and it is a military rebuild, not a military gun redone outside the military. Bob

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well stated, Scott. When you stop to think about it, how many of all those 1911's/A1's got worn out from carry/combat use? I'm thinking probably between 0-2. They just got re-grouped and military armorers with too much time on their hands changed them into a different gun, much the same as private owners have done to them over the years. (How 'bout all the mis-matched numbered Colt slides we see?) Issuing a new-looking gun to a GI would certainly help his morale and top giving him a burned-out looking one. In my book, arsenal marked or re-parked guns command 40-50% the price of an unmolested original example. Kinda like a 60's muscle car with the wrong carburetor or engine numbers in it. Rock on, orig. inspector marks!!! :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts