1911Forum banner

441 - 460 of 462 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Here are all of my fixed blades, excluding my Khukuri knives that came from Nepal and my Cold Steel Trail Master Bowie with San Mai III blade. I'm going to be adding a Randall Model 12 Sportsman's Bowie with the 9" stainless steel blade. I just ordered it and the dealer advised that it would take about 8 months to get it. Mission Knives Beta Titanium blade on the left and a Cold Steel Hamidashi on the right.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Beautiful stuff. But like so much of what we collect, it is more art than practical weapon...at least in brutal combat sense. The best experts on using a blade in combat are the inmates in our maximum security prisons. The blades they use are relatively short, home made from scrap, and only designed to get to the important arteries (which ever is most available)...and then be discarded at the scene. They are not "knife fighting"...they are committing murder. They go right in, start stabbing and keep stabbing until the blood is flowing, and then they drop the knife (aka shiv) and melt into a crowd. They even study medical books so that they know the human anatomy and where to go to get the job done. It's the same with our guns. If we really needed to kill someone with the least amount of fuss (and barring long rifles), a .38 with a 2 inch barrel and loaded with optimum destruction +P ammo, then placed at the base of the skull and emptied into the target, is as efficient as it gets. Again, drop it at the scene and be gone. Obviously this doesn't fit our image of "justifiable self defense"...but this is the kind of thuggery we would most likely be up against in an encounter with an a-social predator. Our survival training and attitude should be equally as brutal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My two favorites. A MK 2 Navy and a Bowie I made from a leaf spring off a 1950s Chevy Apache pickup I found in a ranch boneyard. Both good tough rugged tools. The MK 2 I found in an old truck toolbox I found in a boneyard to. Yep, farm and ranch vineyards are prime ground for a scrounge. And lots of good stuff hidden in them.
20210219_200038.jpg

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Beautiful stuff. But like so much of what we collect, it is more art than practical weapon...at least in brutal combat sense. The best experts on using a blade in combat are the inmates in our maximum security prisons. The blades they use are relatively short, home made from scrap, and only designed to get to the important arteries (which ever is most available)...and then be discarded at the scene. They are not "knife fighting"...they are committing murder. They go right in, start stabbing and keep stabbing until the blood is flowing, and then they drop the knife (aka shiv) and melt into a crowd. They even study medical books so that they know the human anatomy and where to go to get the job done. It's the same with our guns. If we really needed to kill someone with the least amount of fuss (and barring long rifles), a .38 with a 2 inch barrel and loaded with optimum destruction +P ammo, then placed at the base of the skull and emptied into the target, is as efficient as it gets. Again, drop it at the scene and be gone. Obviously this doesn't fit our image of "justifiable self defense"...but this is the kind of thuggery we would most likely be up against in an encounter with an a-social predator. Our survival training and attitude should be equally as brutal.
The up close ("base of the skull") and personal attacks with shivs and cheap, throwaway guns are for assassinations, and have nothing to do with ".... our image of .... kind of thuggery we would be up against in an encounter with an a-social predator." If I encounter a predator in public, it's not likely to be the kind that would want to target me to get up close to shive me or press the barrel of a cheap small pistol to the base of my skull. Those are the types of assassins that already have a reason (grudge or paid to commit murder) to target and kill you. Not the typical thug wanting to commit an armed robbery or car jacking or a lunatic "active shooter" shooting indiscriminately at everyone in sight.

I'm not a murderer/assassin, so I have no need for such things. My guns are for self defense in a deadly encounter, not for encounters in the shower of a prison stall (I have no intentions of committing crimes and exposing myself to the possibility of being convicted and sent to a prison). I have no interest in getting into a knife fight as I'm not a skilled knife fighter. In a deadly force encounter my EDC firearm comes into play. I do collect knives as things of art.

As for this comment "Our survival training and attitude should be equally as brutal." Are you suggesting that we, as law abiding citizens train to commit murder? :unsure: Because that's the only way we could be as "equally brutal" as them. By placing the barrel of a cheap throwaway gun at their base of their skull and execute them.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
The up close ("base of the skull") and personal attacks with shivs and cheap, throwaway guns are for assassinations, and have nothing to do with ".... our image of .... kind of thuggery we would be up against in an encounter with an a-social predator." If I encounter a predator in public, it's not likely to be the kind that would want to target me to get up close to shive me or press the barrel of a cheap small pistol to the base of my skull. Those are the types of assassins that already have a reason (grudge or paid to commit murder) to target and kill you. Not the typical thug wanting to commit an armed robbery or car jacking or a lunatic "active shooter" shooting indiscriminately at everyone in sight.

I'm not a murderer/assassin, so I have no need for such things. My guns are for self defense in a deadly encounter, not for encounters in the shower of a prison stall (I have no intentions of committing crimes and exposing myself to the possibility of being convicted and sent to a prison). I have no interest in getting into a knife fight as I'm not a skilled knife fighter. In a deadly force encounter my EDC firearm comes into play. I do collect knives as things of art.

As for this comment "Our survival training and attitude should be equally as brutal." Are you suggesting that we, as law abiding citizens train to commit murder? :unsure: Because that's the only way we could be as "equally brutal" as them. By placing the barrel of a cheap throwaway gun at their base of their skull and execute them.:rolleyes:
Self defense is classified as homicide...it is simply justified. When you encounter a predator in public, you have no idea what kind of a person he is until it is too late. An a-social predator is any criminal who puts what they want from you above any consequences that might follow. The decision to kill you might be the last thing on their mind, until they decide to be better safe than sorry...even after you're complied and given them whatever they want. A fight to the death has no moral strings attached...just like in the animal world...it is simply that one lives and one dies. The one and only thing that matters at that moment, is that you are the one that lives. What happens to the person who attacked you is of secondary interest...until after your own survival is assured. If your actions are successful and you find that you do not need to take the other person's life, all to the good, so don't do it. My point was that, your knives are very attractive. And probably not what someone attacking you would use. We need to familiarize ourselves with the arsenal of "the enemy" in order to best protect ourselves from them.

441 - 460 of 462 Posts