1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone cross-eyed trying to keep track of ALL the different makers of this type of holster and I'm quite positive there's some that I've missed. If you have one you like, I wouldn't mind seeing a pic and hearing your thoughts on it. I need to order one for my Baer/Colt soon. The old Galco snap top is showing its age. Mods, if this is too specific and you want me to just look through the OWB sticky, just kill the thread and I'll muddle through.....

·
Vendor
613 Posts
I think a list like that would make anyone cross-eyed. I would imagine every maker offers an open top pancake style OWB with a forward rake of some degree or another (I make them with whatever amount the customer wants). Most, though probably not all, offer them with a sweat shield as well. Where do you intend to carry it on your body? That will determine how much rake you need. The further back from 3:00 you move (one a righty...9:00 on a lefty) the more rake you'll need in order to draw the gun effectively. Also, the further back you go, the more rake you'll need to hide the grip as well.

Paul

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mr Accu, you don't specify if you desire leather or kydex. I absolutely love a leather holster, but I've been assimilated (!) and am now a kydex convert. Check out the Phantom from Raven Concealment. They can make one for the larger dimensions of a Baer and it has everything you're looking for.

hth

Mike

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Horsehide Kramer Belt Scabbard. Best OWB I've ever had, and I've tried a bunch.

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
Kil the thread.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
I don't have pictures, but here's what I have for a 5" 1911…

High Noon Slide Guard http://www.highnoonholsters.com/store/extreme-duty-holsters/slide-guard/
I have a black, cowhide, with lining. It rides high and tight. The gun is very secure in the holster, but the draw stroke is very smooth. The sweat shield is taller than I prefer as it interferes with my reach to the thumb safety. If I were to do it again, I'd get their Topless model. This is the most concealable of my OWB holsters.

Raven Concealment Systems Phantom (already mentioned) http://raven-concealment-systems.mybigcommerce.com/1911-custom-phantom-modular-holster/
This holster is just a little more comfortable than the Slide Guard when standing/walking around, but less comfortable bending, sitting, laying down. Compared to the High Noon it is a faster draw, and easier to reholster, but while secure, is not as secure as the High Noon. The Phantom's standard cant, at least when I bought mine several years ago, is about at 10 degrees, which is shallower than the High Noon. You can adjust the cant and ride height with the Phantom, and it can be worn IWB with different attachments. The sweat shield is at the proper height, in my opinion. This is my most versatile holster.

Garrett Industries Silent Thunder http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-owb/
I normally wear this holster straight drop, but it is adjustable for any cant you want. I've worn it canted and it works well. It does not conceal as well as the other two, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed to. It has the best draw stroke of all my holsters, smooth all the way through. Reholstering is very easy. Drawing and holstering a gun in a Silent Thunder holster is something you need to experience to understand how nice it is. This sweat shield is also at a very good height and provides an excellent index point for my thumb when I grasp the holstered gun. This is the holster I'd choose for a range trip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tucker Gun Leather

Here is one for you. Tucker Gun Leather HF-1. Had mine for about 3 weeks and loving it. This is riding a Les Baer Ultimate Recon. Truely a custom rig.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts