1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a strange thing happen with my second batch of reloads. In trying to dial in a good load for my Kimber, I loaded 3 test batches of 10 rounds each in the following configuration:
4.6gr Titegroup 1.41 OAL, .468 crimp using once fired brass and 200gr plated SWCs.
4.7gr Titegroup 1.41 OAL, .468 crimp using once fired brass and 200gr plated SWCs.
4.8gr Titegroup 1.41 OAL, .468 crimp using once fired brass and 200gr plated SWCs.

Yes .1 powder difference was the only change (measured each round with the calipers too). The 4.6s and 4.7s fed great in my Kimber, but 2 of the 10 of the 4.8s did not? I can understand too little powder not cycling the action properly, but???? The max. charge listed by Hogdon is 5.2 so I was well under max. load. Anyone have any insight on this? I'm pretty new to reloading and just thought this strange?

Thanks,
Charles

·
Registered
163 Posts
Try increasing your recoil spring weight. You didn't say what kind of gun you're using, but I have a Gov't model and found that 18.5 lbs worked well with 4.8 gr. Titegroup and 200 gr. LSWC. FWIW, my best group yet was with 4.5 gr. Titegroup and 200 gr. LSWC (16 lb. recoil spring).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using a stock Kimber Custom Shop Pro-CDP(not sure what the stock recoil spring is), in looking into this further, I'm thinking a dirty gun could have had something to do with it (just came from a match). I'm going to load another set of test groups and try again this weekend.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Definitely have this same problem when the chamber gets dirty. My Kimber is a bit of a pain in this regard. Usually 125 rounds, and I'll get a FTF (shooting low power reloads.)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I noticed that too. In my Speer manual the OAL length of their 200 grain SWC test cartridge is 1.185 inches.

Originally posted by KLN:
A standard .45 magazine is not 1.41" measured on the outside. Are you sure about that OAL?

------------------
Steve333

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maximum OAL of 45 ACP is 1.275" in any load table I know of. If you're really at 1.41, I'm surprised they even fit in the mags.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I agree 1.41 is way long Wilson say best OAL for 200 SWC at around 1.250-1.260 with 1.255 being the best. Right now all my H&G 200gr SWC are set at 1.255 and I shoot these out of my 3 different .45's with no feed problems.

[This message has been edited by bowhunter (edited 12-05-2001).]

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Aside what has been noted already, too little or too much charge can affect cycling. Too little given the spring rated weight and the slide does not move far enough back. Too much as the action cycles too quickly and so the round, if picked up, may kick up and either stick in the throat.

Similarly with powder burn rates. Faster powders will move the slide a little faster for cycle action.

For officer's-sized guns, many of the manufacturers try to slow down the action as much as possible so that the slide moves at a pace and with enough force to get is far enough back to collect a new round, but not so fast as to cause a malfunction. The lighter weight of the reduced slide means that for the same load fired in a full-sized 1911, the slide in the officer's-sized gun will move faster because of the lessor weight being pushed.

So, it is all a balance between the powder amount, burn rate, slide weight, and recoil spring - assuming you have got everything correctly done and the gun is fully functional.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've have had the same problem with 200 SWC plated bullets from Rainier. They tend to hang on the leading lower edge of the bullet on the feed ramp. I have a Kimber Custom Eclipse II. I have tried going down to 1.25 OAL as many on this board recommended with no luck.

I have placed 2 emails to Rainer with no response to date. I would have expected them to provide some kind of response. I have noticed several others on this board having problems with plated bullets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just started reloading and have been seeking the proper load for my Kimber Compact CDP. Using Titegroup and 200gn copper plated RNs (West Coast Bullets) in once fired CBC brass (with a couple thousand WW rounds waiting) I found 4.0gn of titegroup totally light. 4.5gn still caused failure to eject (left sitting horizontal in the chamber) or stove piped with every round. While I couldn't find an Max load for this exact combination an experienced buddy suggested I try 4.8 gn of titegroup and just tonight I finally found success. Smooth cycling, fully ejected, no ftfs. Still getting a little powder burn on the outside of the cases from the mouth to about half way back. I am not sure what to change to clean that up, or if it is something to worry about. In any case after two failed loads 4.8 seems to work fine in my Kimber.:D

·
Registered
697 Posts
jrjr2626,

Looks like you still might be running a little light on the powder charge. But, depending on your needs, this may be a perfectly adequate load for your purposes. Light loads are easier on the gun. A little smoking of the case exterior doesn't hurt a thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts