1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Unique for 9mm, .38 spl, & .357 mag. I also use V340 for .45acp. I've been happy with the results for all of these. However, because Unique is so inconsistent in metering and the VihtaVuori meters so nicely, I'm thinking os switching to VihtaVuori for all my reloading. I wrote to VihtaVuori and asked them for recommendations on which powders I should try for each caliber and they responded that I could use 340 for all. I had been thinking of something like 320 or 330 for the others and stay with 340 for the .45acp. Any suggestions from those of you who have used VihtaVuori would be appreciated. The bullets I'm using are: 9mm-Montana Gold 124 gr. JHP, .38spl.-Hornady 148 gr. HBWC, .357mag-Remington 158 gr. JSP. My .45acp bullet is Montana Gold 230 gr. FMJ. Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
190 Posts
Powder Choices

I've not used N340 in the .45 ACP but I have used N310, N320 and N350. I don't think 310 can be used for everything but pretty nearly so. As long as you're not flat out on the performance edge, it's been my experience that it is simply wonderful. At 3.7 to 3.9 gr under a #68 200 SWC it is a light, accurate, fun-to-shoot delight for falling steel or punchin' paper. At 4.4 to 4.5 gr, pushing the same bullet, it makes USPSA and IDPA Power Factor and is accurate in nearly everyone's gun. if you feel the need to push 235 to 255 gr bullets in the direction of bowling pins, let me recommend VV N350. It's got performance to spare and you'll not be worrying about soot on your face or splinters in your hand unless you go completely off the reservation. You can load light, target, charges with this powder but it's a waste.
N320 is, in my reckoning, much like W231. I believe it can be used with success in any application where 231 is appropriate. I think it's cleaner and somewhat better behaved but that won't be an issue if you're not out on the edge. 4.8 of N320 under that 200 SWC is a very nice target load. 5.5 makes PF

Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'll second the N320. It really does have about the same applications as w231, but much cleaner. I Haven't checked to see if it would cover all the calibers that you have listed well. I'd be a little leary about going to N310 b/c it burns really fast and could lead to pressure problems. Also, I've never tried the N340. How well does it work with the .45 acp?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Lapua owns Vit-Vor Powder Co. Check out the Lapua site and they have a load manuel for pistol and rilfe. V-V N340 is a great powder for 45acp and 40SW. I am using it in several other areas as well...25-20 and 32-20. I looks like it will work in 357m and lots of others. Check out the manuel. You will need Adobe PDF reader.

http://www.lapua.com/

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have attached a picture file of the Lapua V-V 45acp load data. At least I hope I did......

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I have the VihtaVuori loading manual. So, I know that all those powders will work for all of the calibers mentioned. I agree that while one powder may work with all, it may not be the best powder for that particular caliber and bullet. I'm not opposed to buying several different powders to get good results. I was basically asking for opinions, based on your experiences, on which might work better for each caliber. Thanks again.
Tom

P.S. In answer to dking 271's question, I'm very happy with V340 in .45acp. Very accurate with velocities in the mid to high 800's with 6.2 to 6.4 gr. and OAL of 1.250

1 - 7 of 7 Posts