1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I'm now loading Red Dot for my 3" .45 acp. Shoots pretty well, but a lot of flash at an indoor range. Anything out there you would recommend for short barrels with a little less flash?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Just curious. I'm now loading Red Dot for my 3" .45 acp. Shoots pretty well, but a lot of flash at an indoor range. Anything out there you would recommend for short barrels with a little less flash?
N310, CLAYS, AA No.2, N320, WST and 231 would be good places to start.

I find some of the faster powders like Bullseye, Titegroup up to medium burn rate powders like Unique can get flashy (regardless of barrel length) depending on the bullet and load.

But in short tubed guns obtaining "minimal" flash is always going to be difficult.
Stay away from the high charge weight loads using slower powders as they by design will be generating larger volumes of super heated gas and flame in the short tubed guns.

There is no easy fix here, just lots of varying levels of "brightness" and "volume" of flash to work with.

If you are shooting conventional lubed lead this also can increase your "muzzle signature" and flash level due to the burning bullet lube
Try some plated or jacketed to avoid this.

Good luck :)

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I shoot Red Dot too in my Commanders, and found that this powder is one of the best to use when trying to get as much powder as possible burned BEHIND the bullet.

What load are you using?

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
AA#2 meters flawlessly and according to the info it is supposed to be formulated for reduced muzzle flash. I've used it for .38 snubby loads and it seems to be an improvement over HP-38, not much experience with it in .45ACP but if it helps in a snubby I'd suspect it's great in a longer barrel!

I haven't loaded any in .380 yet, one of these days I'll get around to it...

·
Super Moderator
7,807 Posts
No matter what you do you are going to get lots of muzzle flash in a three inch 45.

A faster powder will help, but Red Dot is already pretty fast.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Mineralman55:

Not much flash with HS6 or Sihouette in a 3 inch barrel? You may have a lot of that "flash" in the form of unburned powder on the bench in front of you!

John

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Short barrels are going to flash no matter what. I burn a good deal of Promo (Red Dot) and just ignore it.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Mineralman55:

Not much flash with HS6 or Sihouette in a 3 inch barrel? You may have a lot of that "flash" in the form of unburned powder on the bench in front of you!

John
mineralman55 Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineralman55:

Not hardly. Try it sometime.

Both are right. It depends upon weight of bullet (and thus, appropriate powder charge).

Lighter bullet requires more powder, and the bullet escapes faster.
Thus, more unburnt powder kernels out the muzzle.
Heavier bullet requires less powder, and gives more time
for powder to burn under pressure. Less unburned.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Agree that Red Dot is a good choice and maybe Clays as the only commonly available one that could be faster with safe data. Keep in mind that higher pressure loadings often burn faster and cleaner; counter intuitive, but true.

prs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts