1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to get supplies now that I have my bench setup, and I wanted to know which powder would be the best for me to start reloading the 45 ACP and why? It appears that the W231 is the most popular, but I am not real sure why. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
118 Posts
Personally I like Titegroup, I think it's cleaner than W231 and I use alot less for the same performance... I use Titegroup in .40 S&W and .45 ACP with good performance, but then I'm only shooting for a power factor of around 170.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My priorities in order of importance are as follows: Economy, Accuracy, Consistent throws in a dispenser, Max velocity, Low flash

·
Registered
473 Posts
I also use Titegroup. I use 4.8 - 5.0 gr under a 200 gr lead bullet. The same charge works for a 200 gr HP. It is clean and economical and knocks plates and pins down just fine. I would use Titegroup under 230 gr bullets, too but the 200 grainers shoot to point of aim with my Springfield's fixed Novak sights. I also use Titegoup for medium-powered loads in .357 and in loads for .38 special, 9mm and .45 Colt with 255 gr bullets. I find it to be pretty useful!

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Think you are describing Win 231. At 5.1 gr under 200gr SWC, tuff to beat, but Bulleye isn't all bad either.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Titegroup

Another vote for Titegroup. Clean, consistent in the measure, economical at 4.7 gr for 911 fps under a 200 gr lswc. I get about 1500 rounds per pound @$13.95.
Paul

·
Registered
555 Posts
I prefer N320, especially at low vel simply because it`s cleaner than Titegroup. I have to admit though, I`ve used a lot of Titegroup under 200 gr LSWCs and if N320 isn`t available I`ll use a ton more.
Titegroup is quite a bit cheaper in cost if that`s a concideration.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes, there are powders better than it (on varying dimensions).....BUT, at the end of day, what is considered the powder of the 45 Automatic Colt Pistol?

Winchester-Western 231

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am using Clays and Bullseye.

I will move to W231 when I need to re-up on the powder.

Anyone else shooting Clays?

Regards

·
Registered
688 Posts
ccw007 said:
My priorities in order of importance are as follows: Economy, Accuracy, Consistent throws in a dispenser, Max velocity, Low flash
Bullseye first choice. IMR 700-x second choice, mainly because the local skeet club has a sport shop where I can pick it up cheap and in quantity. 700-x doesn't meter as well, but you don't notice except in real cold weather, when the rounds just aren't consistent.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mishmash,

I shoot a lot of Clays. It is somewhat cleaner than Titegroup, but not much. Accuracy is excellent, but the large flakes do not always meter well in everyone's setup (although they do fine for me). It is also a touchy powder if you have any bullet setback or try to increase your loads too fast so I don't recommend it for anyone starting out.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Titegroup for me also. I use it for 9mm, .40 and .45ACP. It is spotless in the 9 and .40., slightly less clean in the .45ACP. Clays is probably a little cleaner. Titegroup meters very precisely due to it's very small flakes. The older generation powders like Bullseye and 231 are good powders, but are fairly dirty compared to TG. Don't even think about Unique. The VV powders are good, the price is just too high for me. TG runs about $85 for an 8# keg. The VV powders are over $125.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts