1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else here had a catastrophic failure of the Para "Power" extractor?
Mine sheared the claw off at 200 rounds.
My main inteterest in this post is wheather or not anyone here knows if anyone is making a tool-steel replacement for this MIM part?

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Mine broke several years ago. First magazine.

Contact Para and have them send you a new one.

No aftermarket PXTs I'm aware of.

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
If it's any consolation, mine has lasted 8275 rds in my TAC-S. I suspect you got a fluke. I like the PXT personally...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Jade:

Drop George Wedge a note ([email protected]) and tell him the serial number of the gun....

Para had some QC issues with the PXT's some time back but went to a full inspection routine afterwards. You may have an early one....

I don't think anybody's making copies - I'm not sure Para would license 'em anyway.

Regards,

·
Registered
812 Posts
I was not aware of this. :scratch: I have about 1300 rounds through my LTC and it's the original PXT. I'll keep an eye on it though.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Para being like other mass market manufacturers have their portion of assembly problems. I just checked a pxt extractor that was interfering with the side of the barrel when it returned to battery. I clearanced it by filing a slot on the right side barrel flat. I thought I had clearanced it enough and checked it with black magic marker. However, under function it was not enough, and the claw broke around the 350 round count. The interference the second time around was obvious and still showed up as a shiny spot on the barrel flat. This can also occur with barrel link timing issues which I am not addressing here but are also adjusted by clearing the extractor and the right side of the barrel. If not clearanced properly no extractor claw will hold up to this kind of pounding under function.
Barry

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have several thousand rounds through my PXT with 100% reliability. I know the JMB diehards love to poop on the PXT, but it works. Much like the Aftec extractor the comp guys use....

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
The PXT and Aftec are different, but both work. The PXT is hinged in the middle and mimics the bow in a standard M1911; the Aftec is solid and straight and hinges on the firing pin stop -- a very long lever with springs in the center. My PXT broke during the first magazine fired back in '03. Replacement has been fine. Get two, though. Murphy's Law of Spare Parts mandates parts with spares rarely fail.

I'm using the Aftec (not called that anymore but darned if I can remember) in my 9mm Colt Government Model. Never could get extractor tension right on this pistol.

Both are proprietary. Neither requires adjustment.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
525 Posts
Chuck,
I meant just that like the Aftec, the PXT offends the JMB loyal.... I think its a reasonable evolution of a great design... even if the original part still works perfectly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Jadeplumblossom said:
How many rounds through the new one w/out any problems?
I got about 12,000 rounds through my 16/40 before the PXT tip cracked off. In defense of this failure, I had slightly reshaped it to help with feeding on my light reloads when the gun was nearly new...The reshaping modification proved to be unnecessary. The real answer was clipping one coil off the PXT spring....

·
Registered
778 Posts
Jadeplumblossom said:
Has anyone else here had a catastrophic failure of the Para "Power" extractor?
Mine sheared the claw off at 200 rounds.
My main inteterest in this post is wheather or not anyone here knows if anyone is making a tool-steel replacement for this MIM part?
Mine broke at around 1000 rds, The mag release broke at 500 or so.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got my pistol back from EGW. George Smith did an outstanding job of sleeving the slide and putting his HD extractor in it. Runs like a sewing machine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Like many MIM parts if they fail it's most likely early in the cycle. I had read of someone who was going to have a local machine shop make him a replacement power extractor out of tool steel. They also were also thinking of marketing them, but I have not read anything about it lately. So far mine has not failed.:)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Just got my pistol back from EGW. George Smith did an outstanding job of sleeving the slide and putting his HD extractor in it
Hi Jade,
May I ask how much EGW charged for this and did you have to send him the whole gun or just the slide?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm not fond of MIM use in this particular application. I have no issues w/PXT design, however incorporating the MIM process, if nothing else, gives the appearance of cutting corners. This in turn is the exact opposite effect desired. I'm sure they have paid dearly through loss of sales directly traced to PXT breakage/failure/concern. Weak/border line mag springs or feed lips that might need to be tweaked aren't really issues.
If you're going beat your chest, while announcing your new fangled, extractor to end all other extractors then you should use real steel. It makes no sense that Para Ordnance would go through the cost of providing such a tight fitting slide/frame relationship only to turn around and offer a complex, multi-pieced extractor of marginal strength. Convincing the buying public that MIM is a superior, space-age technology only works as long as the MIM parts continue to work. In an optimum situation I'm sure there is plenty of strength provided. Herein lies the problem when adapting to real world production. You should hardly ever hear of extractor failure. That should be limited to high round sidearms that have seen thousands upon thousands of rounds. Even then you shouldn't have to continually pay, through shipping, for the warranty previously purchased through the price of the sidearm...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts