1911Forum banner

Power Pistol thoughts

2K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  Reloader762 
#1 ·
I scored 5 pounds at the start of the pandemic as a replacement for my usual 10mm powder, Accurate No. 7.

I’ve now loaded quite a bit of it for both revolvers and 1911s in 10mm.

It meters well and produces a quick, pleasant, suitable for high volume shooting recoil impulse in 1911s.

Having said that it makes a lot of flash and seems notably louder than No 7.

Any of you fans? I’m still not sure what I think of it, but will go back to 7 when I can find it.

See less See more
#4 ·
I've used Power Pistol in a lot of 9mm and some .45acp loads. It performs well, gives excellent velocities, and as you pointed out, it meters great. There is flash, but since I wear hearing protection, I can't really say it's louder than any other powder. Honestly there are several things I judge my loads by, and loudness isn't one of them. performance (accuracy), velocity, and how it meters are things I go by. Put your muffs on and keep using it.

Grumpy

#6 ·
I have been using it in my 10mm guns for quite a while. In hot loads I have been very happy with it. I can not wait to get out and try some of it in my just acquired Ed Brown LS-10.
Wood Clock Office supplies Measuring instrument Gauge

#9 ·
USMM, that’s an incredible acquisition. Congrats.

My initial negative reaction to Power Pistol was largely because I shoot 610s more than 1911s. It’s a nasty powder in a revolver. The blast and noise generated by the cylinder gap is intolerable. Obviously a real alpha male like Grumpy would be immune to it, but for me it’s distracting. My club has recently added a variety of long range steel animal silhouettes and pounding them with a 10mm revolver has become an addiction.

Had I first encountered it in 1911s and not revolvers I’d probably have liked it more.

BE-86 sounds goods Rodll, thanks for the heads up.

#12 ·
My initial negative reaction to Power Pistol was largely because I shoot 610s more than 1911s. It’s a nasty powder in a revolver. The blast and noise generated by the cylinder gap is intolerable. Obviously a real alpha male like Grumpy would be immune to it, but for me it’s distracting.
:) Brent, I'm far from alpha material, probably closer to an omega male, that and I'm close to being deaf. I wear lots of hearing protection at the range (ear plugs and muffs) trying to save what hearing I still have. My whole thought and the point I was trying to make was, with the quality of today's hearing protection devices why would noise level be an issue? I have no doubt PP may well be louder than some other powders, I just have no problems with it when using proper hearing protection. Please note, my experience with PP has all been in auto-loading firearms. I will have to try some in one of my revolvers and see if I can note the difference.

Grumpy

#10 ·
It must be a revolver thing. I've shot quite a bit of PP in 9mm. It gives me excellent accuracy and I get loading manual stated velocities in compact 9mm such as CZ PCR. Specifically 4.8 grains achieves 978fps with 147gr Hornady XTP from a 3.75" bbl. 5.0 gr is the listed max and achieves a bit over 1000fps in the same gun. Meters well, excellent accuracy, good velocity, and available. Checks all the boxes. But I'm not shooting a 10mm revolver so my results don't mean Pooh to the OP.

#11 ·
I received 1 sealed pound estate lot purchase last summer loaded 45 ACP 200 rounds . Really did not like the recoil or the bang , ignition . I have a fondness for Titegroup no I love it with my 225 gn RN hand cast soft or hard alloyed lead .

Disclaimer : My post is subjective please take no offense if your preference is Power Pistol .

#14 ·
I scored Power Pistol 2 years ago, have not seen any since then so switched to Titegroup as what's available, gain more rounds per pound.

Power Pistol meters well, lots of flash and as loud as Longshot while the best thing going for it was range of velocity.

#17 ·
I scored 5 pounds at the start of the pandemic as a replacement for my usual 10mm powder, Accurate No. 7.
I’ve now loaded quite a bit of it for both revolvers and 1911s in 10mm.
It meters well and produces a quick, pleasant, suitable for high volume shooting recoil impulse in 1911s.
Having said that it makes a lot of flash and seems notably louder than No 7.
Any of you fans? I’m still not sure what I think of it, but will go back to 7 when I can find it.
I love the stuff; I load 9mm, .38 Super, .38 Spl., .40S&W, 10mm Auto, .45 Auto and .45 Colt with it. It meters really well, I don't notice it being any louder than other powders (I wear muffs), and it has a wide range of loads. I'd love to have 5 pounds of it, then all I'd need would be some H110 for my .357's and .41's.

#18 ·
Hey Grumpy no problem! Thanks for the input-

I too wear plugs and muffs. My club has added a massive series of barriers to prevent bullets from leaving our property as of course a sprawling McMansion subdivision now borders us. These structures direct all blast back at the shooter. It has made enjoying revolvers tougher than it was in the past.

Old Fart, I think if you tried a similar FPS load with Power Pistol and then a different powder you’d experience the difference in terms of noise folks are reporting. There is something uniquely unpleasant about the bark it creates.

I’m certain that in some of our guns we’re producing sound impulses that are still damaging our hearing despite hearing protection. That’s a topic for another day.

Anyway, thanks all.

#20 ·
I haven't tried PP in a 45 but use it for 9 and 40, it does produce a bigger bang but I've gotten pretty good accuracy. One thing I've noticed with it is when I work up loads I usually divide the range into 10 groups/weights and it seems like I get very little or no change in velocity with small changes in load.

#21 · (Edited)
For years now Power Pistol is all I have used for plated or jacketed 9MM, 40S&W, 38/357 & 45ACP bullets. Like several have already said, it meters well and I have found it more accurate than other powders I have tried.
For any lead bullets I use only Bullseye. Again, it meters well and is accurate.
I have tried many other powders over the years but always come back to these two. PP & BE do everything I need them to do so I am not really motivated to experiment.
Before covid I could get 4# containers of PP or BE for $72. Last time I bought BE it was $90/4#. Haven't shopped for powder for a while now and suspect it will not be pleasant.
I have heard that BE-86 is like PP without all the flash & bang, and I'd like to try it, but have not found it at any of the shops I frequent for reloading supplies.

#25 ·
I've loaded lots of 9mm with it, great results. Loaded 45acp, worked, haven't done much testing, just a couple of mid-range loads to see how it worked. Shooting outside I don't really notice much difference, indoors, the flash and bang is somewhat noticeable. It has scared a 'novice' shooter or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.