1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Any one try these?What do you think?
I shot a wild boar with the 165 gr .45 ACP load. There is probably a detailed report here in the archives but to make the long story short, 3 hits (one hit the front of the chest but did not really hit anything important, two center punched the lungs) and had to chase him all over God's green earth. Fortunately the 4th round in the mag was a Win. Ranger +P 230 gr and that stopped him from running any more (good thing, I was out of breath).

PB might be fine for places where JHPs are restricted and where you must limit penetration more than normal (with the attendant risk that you will not reach the vitals on angled shots or ones with chance barriers like arms).

I wont be shooting 165gr bullets in a .45 any more...no use trying to make a .38 out of your .45:(

Cor-bon makes quality ammo. The DPX line looks very interesting and they offer something for every philosophy so choose what you think will be the best - everyone has to work out their own salvation.

Jim H.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya old dude at the gun shop tryed selling them to me saying they get better penetration than regular hallow points.I normaly carry with speer gold dots 230+p.They looked cool though.He said they get greater pen. because they dont get cloged with clothing like a normal hallow point.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
just clogged with a polymer ball =)

Maybe not, it's a good idea though.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Ya old dude at the gun shop tryed selling them to me saying they get better penetration than regular hallow points.I normaly carry with speer gold dots 230+p.They looked cool though.He said they get greater pen. because they dont get cloged with clothing like a normal hallow point.
Ah, usually a hollow point that gets clogged up with clothing fails to expand and penetrates more - not sure what the point is there?

In any case, boar aint people so take it for what it's worth, but one of mine gave about 6" of penetration (only made it into one lung) and the other gave about 9" (damaging both lungs). Not sure about the 3rd. We did not recover any solid pieces of bullet, just fragments but the guy butchering the hog did it over a drain and we might have lost some. Bear in mind hog muscle is pretty thick over the shoulder and also fairly tough. I would speculate (and that is all it is speculation) they might go just a bit deeper in people form the forward aspect without hitting other opjects such as arms.

Jim H.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Personally I find that Federals EFMJ (Tactical) works much better and has better ballistics. Powerbal has a tendency to break up when it makes contact where the EFMJ stays together and makes a nice large hole like it should.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ah, usually a hollow point that gets clogged up with clothing fails to expand and penetrates more - not sure what the point is there?

In any case, boar aint people so take it for what it's worth, but one of mine gave about 6" of penetration (only made it into one lung) and the other gave about 9" (damaging both lungs). Not sure about the 3rd. We did not recover any solid pieces of bullet, just fragments but the guy butchering the hog did it over a drain and we might have lost some. Bear in mind hog muscle is pretty thick over the shoulder and also fairly tough. I would speculate (and that is all it is speculation) they might go just a bit deeper in people form the forward aspect without hitting other opjects such as arms.

Jim H.
I know your a moderator, and you probably know more about firearms than me. But is it really safe to shoot boars with lead bullets and eat them? You said it fragmented and you didnt recover a bullet, your not afraid of lead poisoning?

Anyways. I used PB ammo once and it shot pretty good. I don't carry it for SD tho. I may start loading it second to feed in my mags, followed by texas rangers

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know your a moderator, and you probably know more about firearms than me. But is it really safe to shoot boars with lead bullets and eat them? You said it fragmented and you didnt recover a bullet, your not afraid of lead poisoning?

Anyways. I used PB ammo once and it shot pretty good. I don't carry it for SD tho. I may start loading it second to feed in my mags, followed by texas rangers
Lots of people use lead for hunting. Whether it be deer or dove. I've used lead shot all my life for dove, and you find. When you find one, just spit it out.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

Not a bad question at all.

Most of the lead fragments are floating around organs inside the chest cavity, which are all removed before processing. Certainly on occasio you may bite into some some. I actually bit into a 10mm hydrashock once that was in a shoulder roast.

As mentioned above, it is a reasonable risk. The most dangerous forms of lead poisoning (other than getting shot - been there done that and they left the bullet in rather than cut it out) is absorbing the dust through breathing it or through the skin. Still, one would not want to make a diet of lead laden meat I suppose.

One good reason to shoot sturdy bullets that go through!

Hope this helps some.

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
PowRball feeding

It has always been my understanding that that polymer ball was intergrated to ensure positive feed (mimic the round nose of the ball ammo) and reduce the chance of jams, etc. caused by the lip of many hollow points getting caught on the edge of the feed ramp. This is why I went to the powRball in my everyday carry guns. Presently, I have just ordered several boxes of the Hornady TAP PD and am anxious to find out how well this round performs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts