1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add one more pistol to the collection - I've got a pair of 357 revolvers and a pair of sig 1911's (45 and 22). Thinking a ppk looks like a fun gun to shoot - also thinking about a S&W model 29... Any thoughts on the PPK?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My sole experience with a PPK/S was not good. Bought one from InterArms in 1990, looked really nice, was easy to conceal and had the worst trigger I have ever encountered on a modern firearm. Gritty in both double and single action. Heavy in both also, so heavy in double action that groups in the 14" range were the norm at 7 yards, wouldn't keep one now if it was a gift. Now a S&W Model 29 is another story.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Take a look at the Sig P232 as a substitute for the PPK. I think you'll be happier and satisfied with that choice in a .380.

·
Administrator
10,888 Posts
The PPK line is not a fun gun to shoot. Blowback operation gives you heavy recoil for the small cartridge, lousy double action trigger, and prone to slide bite. The Sig P230/232 line is better, but is still blowback. In 380, I like the Colt 380 GM, and related designs.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I own a PPK .380 which I inherited. It has a god-awful double-action trigger, will not feed anything reliably except hardball, and it bites my hand. Other than that it is a fine weapon. I like my Makarovs a lot better.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Another thumbs down on a PPK/s.. harsh recoil for a 380.. Newer models with extended beaver tails hit my thumb knuckle.. not a fun range gun..

·
Registered
644 Posts
The PPK line is not a fun gun to shoot. Blowback operation gives you heavy recoil for the small cartridge, lousy double action trigger, and prone to slide bite. The Sig P230/232 line is better, but is still blowback. In 380, I like the Colt 380 GM, and related designs.
^Agreed. For a single action design, go with the Colt.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My love for James Bond books and films notwithstanding, I just never seem to have much luck with the PP series guns. I used to have a German police trade-in PP in .32, and couldn't get it to reliably run through an entire magazine for love nor money, and I tried every type of ammo available. No luck. My father has an old pre-war PP in .22, and while it's a knockout for fit and finish quality, even it has plenty of trouble with reliability. To be fair to the older one, we haven't really sat down and run it regularly with a wide variety of ammo yet, so that assessment may be premature. But even it if ran like a top, it still bites me badly, forcing me to develop a unique "PP-only" gripping style that involves wrapping my pinky finger under the mag well to pull the web of my hand down on the backstrap. It's less than ideal. I really want to like these guns, but it's proving difficult.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
I had one once. Not a nice little pistol. Thankfully the guy I sold it to read or watched too much James Bond, so I did get rid of it and make a little money in the deal.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I generally avoid blowback pistols for center fire cartridges. I did pick up a Mauser HSc Super made by the Italians because of it being a double stack and having a decent trigger for a DA/SA. Recoil isn't too bad with it. I carry a P238 when I carry a .380 though. I think the Walther PK380 is the best of the larger .380 pistols and is recoil operated but only has a single stack magazine.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Had a S&W PPK, not that small, heavy, will bite you and just not that fun to shoot and a .380 to boot. Nice looking pistol, just better ones out there.

I got hooked on HK's with LEM triggers and the P2000SK is a really nice pistol. Small enough to carry, very accurate and reliable and 9mm, a .40 is also available.

So with the HK you get a pistol you can take to the range and enjoy shooting, stick it in a holster for carry and will likely retain it's value better than the PPS.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The best shooting 380 I have shot is the Beretta 85FS. Great accuracy, absolute dependability with any ammo and very good looking. I have put over 5000 rounds (mostly cheap ammo) through my 85FS without a single problem. The 84FS is a double stack in the same caliber, but just a little too long a reach to the trigger for me. Beretta recently stopped making (or maybe just stopped importing) both these models, but they are still available on the used market and some on the new market. The 85FS is a much superior gun to the PPK, either the SW version or the earlier German made version.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think I would go with the SIG 232 unless I could get my hands on an older Walther.
I was looking for a Walter PPK or PPK/S, but at a recent gun show I saw a SIG 232. So I asked a couple of friends, one a SIG fan, what they thought of the P232 and they said that the P232's design is almost identical to the PPK but much better made. So, I went back to the gun show and bought it. Now, I have shot about 50 rounds through it and I am very pleased with the little gun. It is a great CCW, although a bit heavy with a healthy recoil (blowback system) but very accurate and easy to strip down and clean. I would heartily recommend the Sig P232 (mine is in SS). Joe

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I had a InterArms PPK/S a few years ago and actually enjoyed it. It doesn't have a great trigger, it did give me the "Walther bite" until I learned how to hold it, and it wouldn't shoot JHP (heck wouldn't even load the first one without jamming), it is a heavy gun, but it would shoot FMJ all day long and was easily one of the most accurate guns I have shot. I can't explain why it was so accurate for me but it was like shooting a laser. Plus it just has a cool factor going for it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have a W/German Interarms PPK/S, that I bought new in 1981. First the negative-heavy double action trigger, slide does rub me raw, heavy for a small pistol.

The positive- feeds any quality factory ammo, ball and HP's. single action trigger pull is "ok", accurate, slim profile.

This is mine, note it was sent to Robar for NP3 due to many years as my back up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Contrary to others experiences, I've actually had very good luck with mine, and it has become one of my favorite pistols. It is a S&W made PPK/S in .380 purchased new a year ago. Fit and finish is top notch. I've put around 1,250 rounds through mine without a single malfunction. These were mixed factory self defense rounds and 95 grain lrn hand loads. The trigger pull in DA is similar to my friend's 92FS. Single action is crisp at around five pounds with some take up. Slide bite is not an issue with the extended beaver tail. From what I can tell, I may have gotten lucky with mine, or quality control may be improving. Regardless, I'd recommend handling one if you're interested. They are nice guns.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
PPK/s is a pretty face on a terrible little gun. Kinda like lipstick on a pig.

Crummy trigger that manages to be stiff and creepy at the same time.
Hammer bite if you have beefy hands
Picky lil bastd when it comes to ammo.

The Sig P230, 232 are a bit larger and the same basic shape and have none of the faults.

Now the model 29 is my idea of fun. Just picked up a 29-6 Mountain gun. Wheeeee!!!! Big badda boom!!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts