1911Forum banner

Practicing My Photography Skills - 1945 Remington Rand

591 14
In an effort to graduate from the third grade of photography school, I took a few pics of a really nice Remington Rand that I bought last winter at Louisville. Please tell me what you think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those pictures are so nice I would like to know how you took them. We can all learn from your skills.
Thanks for the kind comments. After years of disappointing results, I finally gave in and bought a full frame Canon EOS-R used on E-bay, a book on lighting, and read a bunch of articles on the Digital Photography Forum. The rest has been trial and error, but seems I graduated from the third grade of photo school.
I took those with a 35mm macro lens and edited with Canon Digital Photo Professional 4, which is free. If need be, you can adjust the pictures to more closely match what your eye sees.

· Premium Member
149 Posts
Great photos!

Even though I have a lightbox at work for photographing inventory (non-firearm related), I struggle with getting accurate depth of color and contrast on firearms - I'm using a somewhat budget Canon DSLR and just can't seem to dial it in, even when manually setting white balance. If I manage to get close, then the focus is off or something isn't "right"

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, here's a '44 Remington Rand I photographed for my cousin (CMP round 1).

Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger Metal

Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun Metal Trigger

· Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great photos!

Even though I have a lightbox at work for photographing inventory (non-firearm related), I struggle with getting accurate depth of color and contrast on firearms - I'm using a somewhat budget Canon DSLR and just can't seem to dial it in, even when manually setting white balance. If I manage to get close, then the focus is off or something isn't "right"

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, here's a '44 Remington Rand I photographed for my cousin (CMP round 1).

View attachment 659021

View attachment 659022
Very Nice. I'll call you when I need help!

· Registered
558 Posts
Nice pictures LDog, good detail.

I've used outside lighting a good bit but at times it can be unpredictable. I decided to mount LED lighting around my workbench so that I could get pretty even lighting that I can adjust as needed. I like a little "scenery" with my pictures and usually have some props to go in the edge of the shots.

I like crisp pictures of firearms but everyone has a different eye for their style of pictures. One trick to clear pictures that I use is to use a tripod. No matter how hard I try, I can't hold the camera steady enough and a tripod makes all the difference for me.

I'm a NIKON guy and use a D5300 with 35-70mm lens.

Air gun Material property Gun accessory Everyday carry Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Material property Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

1 - 15 of 15 Posts