1911Forum banner

Prado vs. Iron Sights

1107 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Adventurer_96
Does anyone here shoot IDPA matches at Prado (chino) or Iron Sights (oceanside)? If anyone has shot both, do you like one place better than the other. I have heard rumors about a shotgun match at prado. Is this true? Has anyone ever shot the shotgun match?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
519 Posts
I have shot at Prado and have at Piru but never at the Iron Sight range. I did think about going to Iron Sight but what I have experienced, Prado is the place the to go, if your really interested in IDPA here in So. Cal. Piru, doesnt even come close and Iron Sight, well I cant really say but that is a indoor range and there really isnt anything wrong with that, I just dont think they have the availablity of props like at Prado. Although, shooting indoors does offer different shooting problems to the shooter, I think Prado offers more props and stiffer competition...period!
The biggest dilemna, I see with IDPA where ever you go is the rules. How the rules are applied. And that isnt the fault of the clubs but with IDPA itself.
Next, years Calif. Championships might be up in the air because of this.
Just my thoughts.

· Registered
129 Posts
First, let me say. I HAVE shot at both, so I guess I can say that the shooters at Iron Sights are a great group of guys and have several very competitive shooters, as well as new shooters and up an comers. Prado is a great range, and has a great group of guys no doubt about it.
The matches at Iron Sights are well crafted and challenging largely due to the efforts of Bill Hyder and Charles De Salme. Both know and apply the rulebook. anyone who officialte and does not is doing a disservice to the shooter. Wait til you get to a state match and find out that they indeed enforce the rulebook, all the slack cut by some well meaning SO will set you up for failure. I have shot matches at three differnet clubs and found that Angie is correct, some of the officiating is too laxs.
I go to Iron Sights because I live in san diego.
Both are great matches, but I can not see how Angie can say that Prado shooters are more competitive, when she has never shot a match at Iron Sights. I'll tell you what Ironsights has over Prado, the gun store, great prices on guns and stuff, lots of inventory and great support for the shooters .
Let geography decide, besides the two clubs have matches on different days so go to both.
As a side note, i shot the CA statematch at prado and had no problem with the officiating. i heard several higher ranked shooters grousing about getting procedujurals without getting warnings. I believe that the officials believed that someone shooting master or expert is generally moving fast, fast enough to allow for a warning and that those shooters should know the rulebook inside and out.
John

· Registered
673 Posts
I regularly shoot the San Diego IDPA matches (ASC & Escondido F&G) and shot at Prado at the State match, but just shot Prado's regular match Saturday, on a whim. It was done well, what was extra cool was that due to their set-up, (berms a plenty) we shot 8 stages in the same time our group down south shoots 4 stages. That was a big bonus for me!
haven't shot at Iron Sites or Piru.

· Registered
155 Posts
I haven't shot at both. However, I have shot Prado during a normal monthly match as well as the state match.

There was a little bit of difference between stages in terms of what the ROs were interpreting for the rules. But, as long as those rules are being applied evenly during the stage (which they were) it levels the playing field. It was an ambitious match where we had several people go out of their way to put on a great match. There were a few bottlenecks, but I think those were unavoidable based upon the layout of the range.

The only consistent issue I've seen there, whether at the state match or the regular ones, is that folks will score and paste the targets before the shooter can view the targets, and that's wrong in my opinion.

Not bad, for California... ;)

· Registered
243 Posts
I regularly shoot the Prado IDPA match and it is well run with 8 good stages and is probably the best IDPA match in So Cal. Yes they are considering running a shotgun match in the future and have done so in the past with good results..............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.