1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the price difference between a pre 70 and a series 70 Gold Cup? Is the pre 70 more desireable and costlier? I've seen pre 70s in excellent condition fetch more money than series 70s which are in new or unfired condition.

I just purchased an unshot late series 70 GC and would like to get a pre 70 also. Since I can't wait until I save up some money, sometimes I am tempted to trade my newly acquired series 70
for a pre 70. A local shop has a couple of pre 70s that are in excellent shape.

Would an even trade between an unfired series 70 and an excellent condition pre 70 be fair?

Appreciate your thoughts!

·
Registered
865 Posts
baril,

I have one of each, a 1964 NM and a 1981 GC. The fit and finish on the 1964 is much better than the 1981. The quality control of the 70 Series can be spotty, some are good, others.... The quality on mine is good but nowhere near the level of the NM.

If I had to get rid of one of them, the 1981 would be the one to go. You can find 70 Series GC's on the auctions all the time but the pre-70 Series NM's are not nearly as common.

As to trading, that is a decision only you can make. If the NM's are in nice shape, you could trade for one and always buy a 70 Series later since they are much more common.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The pre-Series 70 Gold Cup National Match is a far superior product to the ones that followed. I've seen and shot 'em firsthand and it is no contest.

·
Registered
724 Posts
baril, the pre series 70 won`t have the spring fingers on the barrel bushing. Also they appear to be hand fitted. Smooth as glass. I`m not knocking the series 70, I have a GC but the pre 70 is sooooo refined. Bob

·
Registered
297 Posts
Do keep in mind some of the pre series 70 NM had a lighter slide and recoil spring, as it was designed to shoot target loads, not hardball. I dont know when they changed them. The recoil spring is easy enough to change, but it's hard to make a slide heavier.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input! I guess I have decision to make. Or better yet, wait and save up for the Pre 70 so I'll have one of each (big wish)!

By the way, all the pre 70s I've seen have the purplish tint to the slide. I guess this is normal?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts