1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So because of the limitations here in CT, I am looking for a decent pre ban 1911 that I can put a threaded barrel in.

I would like to keep the cost below $700.

If I get the urge to tinker with some home smithing, I don't want an expensive gun I would feel bad about messing up, but likewise I don't want something that no matter what is done to it by me or a professional will always be a pile of junk. (Not concerned about resale, but more that if done right it can be turned into a good shooter.)

It's use would just be for fun plinking at the range with an Osprey can.

Would a Norinco be a good choice? My understanding is that all of them (unless illegally in brought in) are pre ban.

Would any Colts fall into this category and if so, does anyone know the S/N cutoff for pre ban manufacturing date?

Any others I should consider? Preferably something where if I see it on GB or elsewhere I can easily check the SN without having to call the mfr every time.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but the federal ban didn't concern 8-round 1911's. Maybe a state law?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'm missing something, but the federal ban didn't concern 8-round 1911's. Maybe a state law?
Has nothing to do with mag size... We can't put a threaded barrel on a pistol unless it's pre-ban. Any pistol with a threaded barrel is considered an assault weapon here in lovely CT.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
We can't put a threaded barrel on a pistol unless it's pre-ban. Any pistol with a threaded barrel is considered an assault weapon here in lovely CT.
I think what AZ Husker is saying is, since most of us don't live in Connecticut, we don't follow your state laws and don't know what was banned. Maybe you could clarify what was banned. Did the "pre-ban" gun need to come from the factory with a threaded barrel?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think what AZ Husker is saying is, since most of us don't live in Connecticut, we don't follow your state laws and don't know what was banned. Maybe you could clarify what was banned. Did the "pre-ban" gun need to come from the factory with a threaded barrel?
No it didn't. We can add a threaded barrel to a pre-ban but not to a post ban (unless the post ban was already in our possession AND registered as an Assault weapon by a now passed date)
So I'm looking for something
-pre ban
-<700
-Decent tinkering quality... Not a collector piece
-that I can easily identify as pre-ban since this probably is not a concern of the seller and I may want to act quickly on an auction without waiting for a mfr to get back to me (glock for example took about 4 biz days the last time I asked)

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Interesting regs :scratch:

help me understand ....any new new gun is outlawed for use with a can.
But any used gun made before the law went into effect is "OK"??

if that's that's the case, I'd look for a used Springfield .
Plenty of 'em out there under your budget .
and way better than a Nork (IMNSHO)

edit to add, you can call Springer with the serial # and they'll tell you when it was made

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting regs :scratch:

help me understand ....any new new gun is outlawed for use with a can.
But any used gun made before the law went into effect is "OK"??

if that's that's the case, I'd look for a used Springfield .
Plenty of 'em out there under your budget .
and way better than a Nork (IMNSHO)

edit to add, you can call Springer with the serial # and they'll tell you when it was made

..L.T.A.
"Interesting" is not the word i would use :mad:

Its any not before the law went into effect (which was 2013) but when the law went into effect, they grandfathered original Clinton era preban weapons.

And its not that cans are prohibited nor their use- they are completely legal, just the sum total of assaulty features - and with pistols the follwoing counts as AW:
A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following:

(I) An ability to accept a detachable ammunition magazine that attaches at some location outside of the pistol grip;

(II) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward pistol grip or silencer;

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah when adding springfield to pre-ban search of site got This thread from the forum

I don't want to re-hash the legality. I guess I will limit it to colt & springfield, and call them to see if they can give me a cut-off date in the absence of a specific serial number if no one hear knows off hand, and if i find one cheap enough, Norinco.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Not to stray but ...

Apparently the members of the CT legislature watch too many movies. Maybe it's all the rave in CT but I don't see, read or hear of many firearm related murders involving the use of "silencers".

Of course I realize that the law has nothing to do with anything other than people control. They didn't quite get their way yet, but they are definitely well into buzz kill territory.

·
Registered
64 Posts
All colt series 70 are pre 83 (or 88?) Is that correct?
There is a re-issue Colt Series 70 currently manufactured. Not sure of the cutoff date of the originals. Just BTW, Norincos are excellent firearms but somewhat difficult to find these days.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I went with a NM serial numbered Springfield.. And sent it to a gunsmith to make it a complete custom. I should have it back within the next month or so

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
You will be hard pressed to find a original colt series 70 for under 700$.. The Springfield is the best bet at that price point.. And they are all series 70 which is a plus and if you call Springfield they will tell you when it was made.. The norinco was a good gun as wel but most custom smiths won't work on them anymore if you intend to customize it..

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
The ones I found that were pre ban generally are under the NM100000 mark but the only way to know for sure is to call Springfield they will answer it right away. The NM serial guns are the ones that are made in the USA just a N will be made in Brazil.. And be stamped made in Brazil still good guns but I didn't want a gun stamped that way.. The Springfield serial numbers for some reason didn't go in order.. Mine is a NM34000 range made 1990 my friends is a NM75000 range Springfield said made 1989.. That's why you have to call

This is a pre ban Springfield I found for a friend and he never bought it

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=501375222

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
No it didn't. We can add a threaded barrel to a pre-ban but not to a post ban (unless the post ban was already in our possession AND registered as an Assault weapon by a now passed date)
Now THAT'S a stupid law. What difference does it make? And registration for an "assault 1911"?

·
Administrator
73,082 Posts
I love how the law is so vague that an ordinary citizen has no way of knowing if a firearm is "pre-ban" or not. Since its their law the CT state government ought to have a website specifically stating where the cutoff is for firearms to be grandfathered under the ban. But no, they'd rather throw some guy in jail to accidentally put a threaded barrel on his newer 1911 than deal with the thugs and street cretin who actually commit the crimes that matter.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
And the law states anything made previous to September 13, 1994 is not considered an assault weapon. Which is the same day that the Clinton assault weapons ban went into effect. It is CT statute 53–202M

·
Registered
779 Posts
That's because until Clinton banned them, there was no such thing as an assault weapon.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts