1911Forum banner

Pre Series 70 LW .38 Super

797 6
I happen to have just bought one of these little jewels today in about 90% finish. The serial number is 12xxLW. Any idea when it was made? All the roll markings look identical to my '54 Commercial Gov't. The grips are full checkered walnut with gold medallions like the series 70's. Would these be original? I gave $725.00 out the door with 1000 rounds of ball ammo. How did I do?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
340 Posts
How did you DO?!?!?:bawling: I would suggest you catch the next bus to Vegas before your luck runs out.

· Registered
233 Posts
Very good price! That's a very hard to find pistola. I doubt the grips are original, should have been brown plastic with a pony on in those days. I had #45xx that had plastic grips.

· Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RandyColt said:
Very good price! That's a very hard to find pistola. I doubt the grips are original, should have been brown plastic with a pony on in those days. I had #45xx that had plastic grips.
Yeah I saw one or two on GA that had the grips you describe. I really prefer these so I guess they'll stay. The frame has polished edges and the slide is showing it's age but overall really nice. Maybe I can have some pics and a range report by the weekend.:biglaugh:

· Registered
1,168 Posts
Real good orice especially with 1000 rounds of ball. The finish on the frame is anodized, careful you don't have some dremel jockey refinish it with polymer and blast the original finish off. Also don't expect too much in the accuracy dept since the early supers had headspace problems. What you should expect is a great functioning and ultra reliable shooter that makes a great carry weapon. Also if you crry watch out for aggressive hollow points and metal followers. I use Wilson mags with Cor-Bon Power-Ball ammo for carry work and American eagle 38 ball for practice. Have fun with the gun, you did very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.