1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spotted a pre series 80, not sure but it may even be pre series 70, Colt Combat Commander in factory nickel yesterday. I love the true Commander size 1911s with the 4.25" barrel. I have experience with 1911s but mostly of the series 80 and newer generation. My question: is $625 a good price for this commander in excellent condition? It is equipped as it came from the facotry i.e. no beavertail, no firing pin block, etc. I have wanted another commander since I traded away my last very unreliable one. I just love their looks and their balance. I would send this off to either Briley, Wilson or Cylinder and Slide for reliability work as well as a beavertail before trusting it for carry. I just always hear how good the pre series 80 colts are for projects. Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I believe that all pre 80 Series Combat Commanders had a 70 prefix serial number. The price seems decent for a CC as they have been getting up there in price lately.

It may not need any reliability work before you can carry it, if you get it try it first.

And by the way, it already has a Commander hammer!;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have another question for all of you. Who can recommend a good bull barrel and/or a good gunsmith to install a bull barrel? I know that on this particular forum, Kimber may be a naughty word but I really like the bull barrel setups they have on their Eclipse Pro models, which I have also been looking at. Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My advice : Series 70 and Pre Series 70 commercial Colts in excellent original condition are becoming scarcer every day with each one customized. If you want a bushingless bull barrel, you should buy a gun so equipped. My Series 70 Combat Commnder works just fine now after being resprung and is more than accurate enough. In short, if it's not borken why fix it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts