1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! New member here. My twin brother and I managed to win two Colt 1911s at auction for our collection. I have a few questions about both of them. Below are the posted pictures. The first few are going to be of the pre-war Colt Military. The frame is 1913 military, serial number 56548. The condition of the gun could be better if I am to be generous. One interesting part about this gun is that is has a Colt Commercial slide due to the barely visible "Colt Automatic / Calibre 45" under the ejection port. The Rampant colt is not visible (if it had one). The next interesting part is the fact that it has "MODEL OF 1911 U.S. ARMY". I am inclined to believe that that marking is fake due to the amount of difference between the letters in that marking. 1911 is a lot larger than the rest and the "L" in MODEL is very large.

1) This is my first question. Can any confirm that it is indeed a fake? If its not fake, why would it be on a commercial slide in a 1913 gun? What would the story be then? Where could it have gone? I know the answers are not so clear but speculation is always welcome. I know in 1918 they had commercial slides on guns. This is a very early commercial slide due to the 1911 patent date. The barrel is a High Standard WWII barrel and you can see the safety, slide release, and grip safety are parkerized and replacements. Magazine is a Scoville from WWII and is electro-penciled "9771" on the side.

Trigger Air gun Wood Grey Rectangle
Automotive tire Rim Wood Automotive exterior Bumper
Rectangle Metal Font Automotive exterior Cylinder

The second gun is a Colt Government Model 1911 made in 1915. Serial number #C16682 which makes it a 1915 production. The weird part about this gun is it has a "Savage" slide, like a military rearsenal would have. I will be applying for a letter for this one. The finish is decent on it, maybe 80% or more. All markings are crisp. The barrel is a Springfield Post-WWI replacement according to Harrisons book which makes me believe this might have been a military gun at one point and went through a rearsenal. The pictures are included. That's why I am posting this gun here instead of the other section for commercials.

2) My question about this is if its a commercial, why would it have a savage slide on it? Someone just threw it on for the fun of it? Or is it more likely to be a military contract? What markings should I be looking for if its military? I can't seem find any other markings other than what's under the slide on the frame.

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Thanks for reading and any information you guys might have for me! First time posting so hopefully I did this right,

· Registered
1,037 Posts
The commercial frame with Savage slide is not fake, per se. It is just a put together gun and would not have been done in US service. The US gun has fake military markings on the slide—different fonts and sizes. Sorry, but neither have any collector value.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Administrator
80,918 Posts

· Registered
618 Posts
Looks like Morphy is no more honest than Rock Island is.
I have yet to find an auction house that is 100% honest. Some don't know better, some gloss over the facts or refuse to do simple research, and others go the opposite extreme and are outright frauds and liars chasing a buck at all costs. (We know who the worst offender of that is)

· Registered
4,000 Posts
Those are them! Might have paid a little too much for fakes but what's the point of making mistakes if you can't learn from them. They are nice guns and will make good shooters atleast. Still going to get a letter for the commercial just for the hell of it.
Sadly they aren't anything more than occasional shooters, those early slides aren't hardened and will eventually Crack.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.