1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I got some old gun parts from my uncle years ago. I finally reopened them and found some pistol grips, mostly colt. I was wondering if someone could confirm the grips age with the pictures shown. Also, should I clean them or leave them untouched.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,054 Posts
Pre-1924 M1911 or Government Model grips, look to be very oil-soaked. I would probably scrub them with turpentine on a toothbrush and see if they couldn't lighten up a little. If that didn't work, then I go to the 'nuclear option' - lacquer thinner. It will take them back to day one.
No, skip all that - the best thing to do is to sell them like they are and let that guy dabble in the black arts. :)

·
Administrator
78,720 Posts
Refinishing vintage grips is like refinishing the firearm itself... a no-no to collectors and something that will ruin the value. Clean them carefully with light solvent and a toothbrush or else leave them alone.

Reactions: Darkside007

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Everyone, I got some old gun parts from my uncle years ago. I finally reopened them and found some pistol grips, mostly colt. I was wondering if someone could confirm the grips age with the pictures shown. Also, should I clean them or leave them untouched.

Thanks
Thanks for you help. Are these desired by gun collectors? Not sure what to do with them.

·
Premium Member
17,054 Posts
Your grips could be useful for somebody with an M1911 or Government Model of that period with moderate wear. There are probably many of those who are looking for a set of grips in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your grips could be useful for somebody with an M1911 or Government Model of that period with moderate wear. There are probably many of those who are looking for a set of grips in pretty good shape.
Hi, I actually have 2 sets of these and some other bakelite colt grips, as well as some really cool pearl handle grips. I collect guns but really don't have a use for these items. I am interested in getting rid of them but don't even have a clue as to their value. Also, I have to have 100 posts here to be able to sell is what I'm being told. So keep asking questions. Thanks,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts