1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone shooting the newer profile 200gr RN with the shoulder from Precision Bullets? I had shot the older RNF for years and it was my favorite... I assume Dave wouldn't have changed profiles if they were inferior but I also know some were thrown by the flat point and OAL.

I'd like to place a projectile order while these guys still have lead in the supply chain, so I don't want to buy a small lot to load/evaluate

Thoughts on the new profile?

·
Premium Member
5,183 Posts
Just in for the replies. Had not seen the new bullet style before reading your post. Looks like a round nose semi-wad cutter, interesting design. Agree that Dave would not change design unless it provided an improvement over the old one.

·
Registered
21,672 Posts
There is a cast bullet of somewhat similar profile that I was disappointed in; but it has a sharper nose.

You may not want to order a small trial lot, but that is the only way to know.

·
Super Moderator
21,985 Posts
I liked the old RNF, but had a bit of trouble with it; not until I loaded it at 1.2", did I get consistent velocities.
Never any problem with feeding, but at an OAL that took into account only the flat point, my velocities were varying by 100fps, and then that variation went down as the OAL got shorter.

The new bullet looks more like the one I used to buy from Masterblasters, and is maybe still made by BBI?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I emailed Dave at PB and he said that the old RNF had too many problems with factory guns. (I assume people didn't account for the flat nose and shorten OAL accordingly) He said the new 200gr. RN had no problems with any factory guns and showed better accuracy.

I think I'm going to give them try... or at least get on the backorder list! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
The older RNFP would jam into the case mouth support ledge in 5 out of 6 of my .45 ACP pistols even loaded to 1.21" OAL....(sticky extraction of loaded rounds during unload and show clear told the tale); once shortened to 1.19" OAL, all was well! (Fed in everything I owned, I will miss them.

As these rounds are now discontinued, ...well, that's a shame!

·
Premium Member
5,183 Posts
The older RNFP would jam into the case mouth support ledge in 5 out of 6 of my .45 ACP pistols even loaded to 1.21" OAL....(sticky extraction of loaded rounds during unload and show clear told the tale); once shortened to 1.19" OAL, all was well! (Fed in everything I owned, I will miss them.
In my guns they shot just fine @ 1.20 but my daughters gun needed them at 1.195. She still has maybe 1,000 left that I gave to her and has had good success with the old style once loaded appropriately for her gun.

I only went down to the shorter length thanks to MSgt’s advice from an old PM.

Looking forward to a review of the new style, once someone gets them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts