1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my reloading equipment since christmas last. So far I have been using hornady 230grn FMJ's. Because of the cost, I haven't really reloaded a bunch yet, though the ones I have done have worked pretty well. I have been looking at getting a 1000box ($45 bucks/1000 sure beats 14 bucks per 100 of the FMJ) of the 230 grn RN bullets from Precison bullets. I like the idea of having the coated bullet. I assume, though I know thats not a good idea, that I will just load these things up the same way I did the others. Unlike the hornady FMJ's, looking on precisionbullets.com, these have a notch.

Am I wrong to assume I just load these things up like I have been? or is there anything special I need to know. I haven't bought anything yet, just making sure they will work.

I have a Rock Chucker press, and RCBS dies.

Noslrac

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also does anyone know if these bullets come .451 or .452. Again i have been using .451 FMJ bullets. Is there going to be any changes I have to make?

Noslrac

·
Registered
394 Posts
noslrac,The notch you are seeing is where the lube would be if the bullet were a plain hard cast bullet.With the coating on the Precision bullet no lube is needed.I would use the data for a hard cast bullet with what ever powder that you use.I have used both the 200gr SWC and 230rn with no problems at all.One down side to Precision Bullets is their shipping cost.$45 a thousand is a good price but they charge about $12 for shipping.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hi noslrac,
Where in Missouri are you located? I have some 230gr FMJ bullets in the shop and I'll sell them for $10.00 a 100. That price does not include freight if I would have to ship them to you. However you may be close enough that you could drive to the shop and save the shipping charges. These bullets have a true copper jacket not just a copper wash or plating.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

[This message has been edited by Hunter Customs (edited 11-08-2001).]

·
Registered
314 Posts
I love Precision Bullets stuff. Using Clays as fuel, I can barely tell the gun has been shot after a couple hundred rounds, very clean. I have used data for jacketed bullets in my .45s and 10mms with no ill effects and absolutely no leading. The 200 gr. SWC and 225 gr. FP boxes come marked .4515 dia.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've just gotten into reloading. And I started with precision bullets. So far I like them. I've only shot about 50 of them though. But at the gunshow this weekend, I noticed that Georgia Arms reloads look a lot like precision bullets! I did notice that they seat theirs flush with the ridge on the bullet to the case. Mine are set up the same length as some GI ammo I have at home. My first 50 fed through my XSE with no problems.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What's wrong with 1000 cast SWC (H&G #68) from Dillon, at 45 bucks? Load somewhere between 3.8 and 4.2 gr. of Bullseye and you"ll have a super-accurate load. At a cost of around $3.50 per box of 50. For serious business, I stay with 230 gr. Golden Saber or SXT. The handloads are light recoiling and I only clean after 3-400 rounds.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,011 Posts
I shot Precision bullets almost exclusively, until I found a local source for a virtually identical bullet. Now, I am getting them for $44/1000, and no shipping. Where terminal ballistics are not important, I think the "black bullets" are superior to both jacketed and conventional cast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My thoughts may be unfounded, but I would like to stick with the RN so as to not complicate the bullet going into the chamber from the mag. I have a Kimber Custom Classic and would rather stick with something that works rather than buying a large box of something that doesn't. I have been using W231 (don't have the load data here as I am away from my equipment).

Noslrac

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have been very happy with the black bullets from precision bullets. I have been using the 230gr round nose. I have had no feed problems with them. I have also tryed the 200gr .44cal rnfp and had no problems with leading even with 26 grains of H110 (I'll try a dit more later).
I still carry my handloaded 230gr golden sabers for anything other than target practice.

·
Registered
394 Posts
noslrac,Assuming you are using good quality mags and gun the 200gr swc will be reliable in your Kimber.IPSC and Bullseye shooters have been using this style bullet for decades.It is a reliable shape.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been using the black bullets from Precision for a while now. The only issue that I ran into was loading for a subgun. These rounds need to be kinda on the hot side to function correctly in this beast and after 400~500 rounds I noticed some leading. This is only an issue on the subgun, not any of my pistols. A local armorer says I may want to find a slower powder than Bullseye to help resolve this issue. I found Win231 to be rather dirty in my .45.
op2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts