1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
I had no idea that was a known issue with NHCs. I've not seen it in any of my NHs.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'd give NHC a call rather than an email that's the best way to reach them on your guns issue which is really some what minor but bothersome on an expensive 1911. But sometimes things get over looked and it pretty much covers all manufacturers 1911's from what I've seen around the different forums here.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I actually experienced the same problem with my falcon. Slide stop was heavily marked with brass as well. The problem was corrected by removing excess material from the slide stop and a good polish. Gun is flawless now. ( this issue occured almost every other magazine during first 500 rounds)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
One thing to keep in mind on this is overall round length. Check your ammo before you go removing material from the SS. Could it be long rounds? Some smiths fit 38 super/ 9mm slide stops in their builds. They have about .020 more material on the lock.

Where folks get in trouble is they test and tune with cheaper ammo and then load expensive "Carry" rounds. NOT A GOOD IDEA! If you carry it, shoot it.

So, if your $3400 Nighthawk is locking the slide prematurely, it may just be that they (NH) tested your pistol with Federal 230 ball and you shoot WWB 230. NOT A DEFECT, just a slightly different round profile.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Before I call NH, I would run different magazines and different ammunition to see if problem still manifests itself

·
Registered
14 Posts
premature slide lock

I experienced this on my citadel 1911. I was mystified as to why this was happening. I finally loaded my own ammunition and the problem went away. The gun fires perfectly with 5 grains of bullseye powder pushing a 230 gr. FMJ bullet. I am not sure why it was having trouble with the commercial ammunition.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My falcon did it with 4 types of fmj and 3 different types of mags. Same ammo and same mags worked flawlessly in two other nighthawks. I knew that was a problem.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have a p 14 para frame w/ colt slide and mostly wilson parts,it was doing this but appeared that the slide lock was riding up under recoil.I took a divit out of back of slide lock where the plunger spring rides the ss and no more issues.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Haven't experienced that issue with my Enforcer. Guess I'm a lucky one.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By KNOWN issue , I am saying that it is relatively common. It doesn't happen with every single gun but it is a common problem with NHC guns....Common enough that other forums have a sticky about it. Common enough that the guns ship with two type of mags, many have problems with one or the other.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you think I am wrong, search premature slide lock here and see what you get. then google Nighthawk issues, premature slide lock is the one that shows up most.

·
Registered
546 Posts
By KNOWN issue , I am saying that it is relatively common. It doesn't happen with every single gun but it is a common problem with NHC guns....Common enough that other forums have a sticky about it. Common enough that the guns ship with two type of mags, many have problems with one or the other.
I disagree with the magazine part thats been discussed before. The silver mags from nighthawk have never worked in any gun ive tried them in but the black act mags have. I dont participate in other forums so I dont know as far as a widely known issue but again I did experience this myself on one and only one of my guns. The other two have been flawless. If I had to guess alot of the problem probably started when nighthawk started machining all of their own parts not saying they don't know what they're doing but im sure with all of the backlog trying to catch up and implementation of the all machined parts well stuff slips by. Anyways nighthawk fixed my gun and its amazing. I do have to say this is probably a rare occasion as most of the time you hear more bashing than anything when it comes to brand x vs y and so on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I disagree with the magazine part thats been discussed before. The silver mags from nighthawk have never worked in any gun ive tried them in but the black act mags have. I dont participate in other forums so I dont know as far as a widely known issue but again I did experience this myself on one and only one of my guns. The other two have been flawless.
The SS mags have a different follower than the Blued Mags.
I have had nothing but trouble with my SS Mags.
No issues with my blued Mags.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nk t4

Same exact thing with my brand new T4 .45 ACP. Couldn't get through 3 different types of mags without the slide locking up. I can't believe they let the gun out of the shop. Filed and stoned slide stop and time will tell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts