1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide which I should buy. I read good stuff about both. Any imput would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
TRP is nice, but isn't in the same class as a Baer. If you're looking for a "defensive" 1911, the Custom Carry or TRS will have fixed night sights instead of an adjustable sight on the PII.

The Baer will be hand fit, no MIM, better trigger, and has an accuracy guarantee of 3" at 50 yards (or option of 1.5" at 50 yards).

Still thinking about that TRP? :)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Not even fair. I've checked out both a Premier II and a TRP with adjustable sights. The PII was by far the better gun. That's not to say that the TRP isn't a fine firearm because it is. I'm thinking about getting a stainless one myself if I can ever find one at a good price. But you can get the TRP and the PII for roughly the same price. But with the LB you have all tool steel components compared to the Springfield which is full of MIM. Although I don't mind MIM, tool steel is better and I'll always choose tool steel given the choice. The Baer is better fit too and is built like a tank. Overall it's a better buy and more value for your money.

One advantage Springfield has is the lifetime warranty that comes with its guns. I guess that's what you're paying for because I don't see what else in the gun warrants its price.

Go with your gut though. People always ask what to get--Kimber, Springfield, Wilson, Baer, or Brown? Go for the gun that appeals to you. For me that was a Baer, I love the look and heft of his pistols.

·
Registered
314 Posts
A better comparison would be with one of Springfield's custom shop offerings, such as the Custom Carry or Professional and a Baer. While the TRP is nice and slightly less expensive than a baer, it does not offer some of the same TLC and features as a Baer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. I value the advice I get here. I will definately consider the Les Baer. Where is the best place to order one?:confused:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Get the Baer. You'd have to be smoking something to even begin to think that the TRP is in the same class as the Baer.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
TRP is nice, but isn't in the same class as a Baer. If you're looking for a "defensive" 1911, the Custom Carry or TRS will have fixed night sights instead of an adjustable sight on the PII.

The Baer will be hand fit, no MIM, better trigger, and has an accuracy guarantee of 3" at 50 yards (or option of 1.5" at 50 yards).

Still thinking about that TRP? :)
The Baer doesn't have that POS internal lock, either.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
keep in mind that the PII is about 6-700 bucks more....for that, you could buy the TRP AND a Milspec for almost the same price. just food for thought.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
keep in mind that the PII is about 6-700 bucks more....for that, you could buy the TRP AND a Milspec for almost the same price. just food for thought.
Where do you get that from? The TRP is available online for just under $1300. The PII is available from Proload for around $1400.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Here's the current pricing for a standard armory kote TRP from sporting arms

SPC9108LP
SPRGFLD TRP AKOTE NS 45ACP
Pistol
$1,341.00

Les Baers are price on request, but last time I bougth from them, a PII was around $1450 or so. Sporting Arms just did a price increase on them but I don't know how much.

But, there isn't that big of a price difference, unless the PII rose a couple hundred dollars.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I have both the TRP and a Super Tac from Baer.

I am pissed about spending the money on the TRP because it doesnt even compare to one of Les Baers cheapest guns. I have tooling marks all inside the mag well, mim parts, sights fell off first 500 rnds, more failures, and the feel isnt even a comparison. Its still a shooter and nice compared to what some people have at the range but isnt the same quality or even close to it.

Its not a bad gun and SA did fix the sights free but I would take that money and save a $200-300 more for a Baer that will far out shine that standard TRP. The only way to compare is as mentioned above with SA's custom shop because the production guns arent in the same class despite the cost of pistols like the TRP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts