1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been written about before, but I can't find the posts.

I've fired 317 rounds through a new Premier II with the 1.5" accuracy work. The first couple of hundred rounds fired quite reliably. The rest frequently jammed. Specifically, the slide does not go fully forward and it's difficult to eject the round. It's gotten so this happens once or twice with each magazine.

I cleaned the gun after firing 200 rounds. This still happens.

The shok buff is not noticeably worn.

I'm thinking of replacing the recoil spring with a Wilson heavy duty 18 pound spring and removing the shok buff. Les Baer recommends using the shok buff if I'm going to be shooting a lot of hardball. I will be. I do a lot of target shooting. But, they also said that it would not harm the gun if I didn't use it and they don't recommend using a shok buff if the gun will be used for carry.

What are your recommendations? At this point, I don't think a trip back to LB is required, but I'd like to get this corrected.

Dennis D. Carter

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hi Denis, I bought my PII with 1.5" feature back in January and it never gives me any problems. With your gun shooting reliably the first 200 rounds, I suspect it's the magazine (spring?) that gives you the problem (assuming you lube the gun well after cleaning since it's a very tight gun.) Try cleaning the mag or using another mag and see if the problem persists.

My Baer came with 18 lbs recoil spring, and I believe yours did too. It still works well with the shok-buff in it. Good luck.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I wouldn`t worry.. I 2nd Wit in telling you to make sure it`s lubed well, as it is such a tight gun.. The recoil spring i assume is an 18lbs spring but in my TRS it is a vari-power spring, try the 18lbs wilson, it is what i use, it will give you more push and should solve your going into battery problem..
-Gilmore

------------------
ME,WE!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll bet that if you break it in a bit it will slide right into battery, unless it is an aluminum framed gun. In that case it would probably have to have the slide refitted. I had to do just that. Les could tell you why.
Marty U.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi Dennis,
The recoil spring on your Premier II is an 18.5 lb variable, so you won't be doing anything by changing to an 18. You really need about 1,000 rds to break in that Baer. I know it is a pain when it doesn't function as intended but it should get better. Put a little extra lube on it and go shoot. I haven't had a malfunction in the last 1,500 rds on my Premier II with 1.5" guarantee. I couldn't say the same for the 1st 1,500 rds though. Keep me posted.

------------------

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes it is an 18.5lbs spring, i was assuming that everyone would know thats what i meant, as i have never seen just an 18lbs spring.. I prefer the non-vari power springs though, my TRS would need a nudge on occasion to go fully into battery during break in, and i put in a wilson 18.5lbs (full power) spring and that cured it.. my 2¢
-Gilmore

·
Registered
474 Posts
Citizen_Gilmore,
Recoil springs can be had in 1/2 pound increments once you get up to a certain weight. You can buy both 18 and 18.5 lb recoil springs. I just wanted Dennis to know what he had in his pistol.

------------------

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Kind of a long shot here, but are you using grease on the slide? If so go with one of the lighter oils, like CLP. Grease really slows down a tight gun like the PII, especially when not fully broken in.

[This message has been edited by JiminCA (edited 10-30-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JiminCA,
Good point. When I cleaned it, I used Wilson's grease. If this continues, I'll use oil the next time I take it apart.
Dennis

·
Registered
479 Posts
Originally posted by oldcolt:
Citizen_Gilmore,
Recoil springs can be had in 1/2 pound increments once you get up to a certain weight. You can buy both 18 and 18.5 lb recoil springs. I just wanted Dennis to know what he had in his pistol.

Your right, i was "meaning" to say the same, all my springs are 18.5lbs.. Just not the variable variety..

------------------
ME,WE!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I discovered the source of the problem and I'm embarrassed to say that the cause was the penny-pinching antics of the shooter, NOT the gun.

The reloads causing the problem were Winchester cases I'd reloaded at least a half dozen times and some of which I'd picked up at the range. The case rim on some of this brass, particularly stuff I've picked up at the range, was very ragged, making extracting the cartridges difficult.

With new case Winchester loads and reloads using IMI and Starline brass I've bought, there was no problem.

On occasion, the slide still fails to go all the way forward, but a slight nudge with my thumb and I'm ready to go. And, extracting proper cases is a piece of cake. I only have about 400 rounds through the gun, so I don't anticipate any problems once it's properly broken in.

Is this gun accurate? You bet. My thanks to Les Baer for a fine gun and to you for your advice.

Dennis D. Carter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts