1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last couple of months I've been working on a project involving a Foster recon frame and a Caspian slide. I finished fitting the thumb safety today thanks to Log Man. I noticed the frame has some file and sanding marks. I generally use progressively finer sandpaper to remove marks. Is that sufficient or do I need to polish the frame by buffing. Just looking for ideas or suggestions. Here is a picture of the project.
Bill

·
Registered
706 Posts
Call Metaloy. From everything that I hear, they're a great company. They can tell you how to get the frame ready.
BTW, nice build.
Rob

·
Registered
359 Posts
I saw a thread from Chris Peters at Metaloy (The Firing Line, 10 Aug 2010) in which he states he refinished a blued Ruger revolver in Metaloy for a customer without polishing or removing roll marks.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hard chrome, like bluing will have the same finish as it is the prep work before treatment. Most hard chrome is applied over a glass or aluminum oxide blasted surfaces. Glass beads will yield a softer, satin look and aluminum oxide depending on grit will give a more matte finish. You can also do a brushed look or super high polish. Metaloy will prep it properly before they chrome it. If you want to do all of the work yourself & just have them plate it they will probably accomodate you. A lot of gunsmiths send guns out fully prepped as they want the control over the finish. However if you do not need that control, or have questions about how to prep it, then simply communicate with them what type of finish you seek and they will prep it accordingly. The only caveat would be, if you leave any area too rough, as in too rough for the blasting to remove it, they will likely charge you for the additional labor to bring it to the proper level of finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts