1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't believe it's been 2 years since my last visit to 1911forum.com....it's good to be back.

I'm having my CCW class in 2 weeks and I'll be taking my Colt Commander. What else will I need to bring besides my UpLuLa? Also, where can I get Commander size black, slim, golfball grips?

What kind of holster should I bring or do I need one? What holster do you suggest for leather, belt clip, IWB, TUCKABLE and molded to fit the Colt Commander?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome back.

From the classes that I have been involved with the students did not need a holster. Some of our students are so new to shooting they even come to class with a borrowed gun and some ammo.

G

·
It would be a good idea to check with whom ever is offering the class. I would be surprised if they didn't have a list of items that you need to bring.

Without knowing what state you are taking the class in, you are just going to get guesses or replies from what others where required to have in the state they took the class in. This may or may not be what you need to take.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be a good idea to check with whom ever is offering the class. I would be surprised if they didn't have a list of items that you need to bring.

Without knowing what state you are taking the class in, you are just going to get guesses or replies from what others where required to have in the state they took the class in. This may or may not be what you need to take.
Hi Mark, I'm in Texas.

Do new applicants have to take the course or can I just file the application?

·
Registered
662 Posts
You will have to take the full 10 hour course. At the end of the class you will have to go to the range and shoot (best part of the whole day). It all
Depends on the instructor as far as what you need to bring. Some of the instructors provide everything you will need, including the photos and doing the fingerprint cards. Others will tell you to go to the local PD to get the finger prints and the local USPS to get the photos done.

G

·
The state mandates that the CHL course be not less than 10 hours and not more than 15 hours long. The class room time is dependent on the instructor.

I would suggest contacting the instructor you plan to use and get the information straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Texas has a fairly good CHL website ran by the Texas Department of Public Safety. You might want to read all you can there as well. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hi Mark, I'm in Texas.

Do new applicants have to take the course or can I just file the application?
In Texas, for the first time, you will have to take the entire course. Renewal classes are shorter. Both require a range qualification, classroom instruction, and tests.

New prints, photos, and all the scoop, are also required for both as I remember.

Dunno where you live, but call ahead to the instructor, and see what you need to bring. Luckily, I'm in the Metro now. You can show up and take care of everything with one stop. When I first got my CCW, it was a nightmare. Local sherriff to print, photos were 50 miles in the other direction, class, 35 miles from me and range time in another direction.

Call ahead and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
All you need is pin and paper, 50rds,2 mags and pistol. I took the class 2 yrs ago; started at 8am and I got home at 7pm. What will help is if you read over the Texas laws on CCW; you dont have to study just have a understanding. You can get them on-line at the DPS web site. My instructor did the finger prints and the photos all for $100, what a deal. If you live in the Sugar Land area I willget you his phone number.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Gawd, we back to those damn concealed badges again? I want 2, 1 for each hip, LMAO

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Do CCW's really require a badge?
No. In fact, most who see one are apalled because it shows the person wearing it does not understand their respondsibilities as a CCW holder (THAT'S why they call it CONCEALED.) So any dummy that wears the badge is in violation of his permit and - in my opinion - needs to have their permit revoked.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
What else will I need to bring besides .......
Re-read the course description. They will have that information there. MOST courses do not have you firing the first night, so they will repeat what they expect you to bring. If it's all in one day - bad choice - re-read the course description.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Don't forget to bring your brain.

·
Registered
451 Posts
In NE, a pen and your ID for the classroom part. For the range, NE required (at least my course) drawing and firing from the holster at a variety of distances, with a minimum score. Got some pretty good range practice...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts