1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting my Para 16.40 LDA converted to 10mm. The concern I had was with the higher pressures of 10mm, will this cause stress on the frame and shorten the life of the gun? I am concerned the Para .40 frames are not setup for 10mm and although you can do the conversion, is it wise? From what I read the Colt frames are strengthened to accept the higher pressures.

I am in a trade deal right now trading my 16.40 and money for a Colt 10mm. The guy I’m trading has several unfired Colt 10mm’s and I basically get my pick. Thing is, I will end up trading my barely fired 16.40 LDA and spending an additional $300 to $900 extra for the Colt.

But then I thought, why not just get the Para converted?

Or maybe I should just sell the LDA and get the P16 converted. Or maybe I should just get a new .45.

Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
DanDean316,
I could not help but notice your post about converting a Para to a 10mm. I believe the LDA Paras to be fine guns but I'm not sure I would convert one to 10mm especially if you plan to hotrod it a little with handloads. Now as for Paras P-16s and converting them to 10mm I've done quite a lot of these and they seem to be holding up very well. As a matter of fact the Para P-16 just might be the most versatile of the 1911 style handguns on the market. The reason I say this is one can build a switch top gun by building a 9mm topend for the P-16 and actually end up with a gun that can handle five different calibers. However you would need five different barrels and recoil spring weights but the caliber choices would be 40S&W, 10mm, 9mm, 38 super, and 9x23. One of these days if I ever get the time I'll have to fit some more barrels in my switch top gun and see what I end up with. Another one that might be worth trying would be a barrel set up for the 357 Sig round and if that would work out that would make the gun a six caliber gun, however on second thought I believe the 9x23 puts out as much power as the 357 Sig without the hassle of the bottle neck cartridge so the sig round may be a waste of time. Good luck with your project and keep us informed on how it turns out.
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob
If I end of doing these conversions, I will definitely use you. I've seen enough of your stuff to know it's just great! Wow a 6 caliber gun?! Nice. On question though, why do the switch top on a P16 to a 9mm? Would the .40 mags work for all these including the 9mm? I actually just sold my P18 and 18.9 LDA. Have no need for the 9mm in a full size frame - or at all.:D

gendarms2000
I've seen the Kimber 10mm's, but I've heard of problems with them. I like the Dan Wesson revolvers, but the autos just gon't appeal to me. If I'd buy an off the rack 10mm, I'd go with Colt, but those can get spendy.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
DanDean316,
The reason I did my first switch top gun was I needed a 9mm to shoot steel and Para did not have a 9mm available at the time. The P-16 40 and the 9mm can use the same ejector so I did not have to worry about changing ejectors in the gun when I switched the topends. I'm using 38 super mags when shooting 9mm, however I do belive the 40 mags could be converted to feed both. The reason I say this is I have a couple of 40 mags that will feed both 9mm and 40 just fine. If I can ever get some free time I do plan to machine a die to fit inside the mag up against the lips so I can form them to try and feed both cartridges. I do have several other projects of my own that I need to get done first and free time is hard to come by right now.
Don't overlook the P-16 converted to 10mm, if one is going to have a 10mm it might as well be a high capacity 10mm. Another plus is I believe the wider grip frame makes it easier to control the recoil of the 10mm.
Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts