1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the verdict out on this lube yet? Compared to Rem Oil and Breakfree?

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I use silicone spray to protect the the metal from corrosion.

I spray silicone on the gun, let the silicone dry (about 15-20 minutes), and wipe with a silicone rag to evenly cover the metal surfaces.
Then I spray the silicone into my holster and let it dry.
This treatment makes the draw and the re-holstering of the gun very smooth!

For lubrication of the gun, I use Tetra-Gun Grease on the rails and the locking-lugs, and Break-Free CLP everywhere else.

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Mk.IV:
I use silicone spray to protect the the metal from corrosion.

I spray silicone on the gun, let the silicone dry (about 15-20 minutes), and wipe with a silicone rag to evenly cover the metal surfaces.
Then I spray the silicone into my holster and let it dry.
This treatment makes the draw and the re-holstering of the gun very smooth!

For lubrication of the gun, I use Tetra-Gun Grease on the rails and the locking-lugs, and Break-Free CLP everywhere else.

-Mk.IV

Yep, through extensive test firings I have concluded that Tetra Grease alone will not provide enough lubricant. Prestone silicon spray doesn't work too well in the lube department either. AT least not as a replacement for CLP.

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Silicone is not usually a very good lubricant for metal. It is for rubber and plastic. I have had good luck with CLP (the new non solvent version), Militec-1, and Ezox. Also try synthetic motor oils. I prefer the Castrol Multitec oil. I know everyone says Mobil One but the Castrol is a later generation oil.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I use Rig Plus P stainless steel lube on the frame rails of my stainless steel 1911s. I learned about this good stuff, when I bought my first Randall stainless 1911s back in the mid 80s.

7th

·
Registered
34 Posts
I gotta tell you guys, for an oil, FP10 is going to be hard to beat. I've used Militec, Wilson's Ultima Lube, Tetra, Kellube, RemOil, different motor oils, Breakfree, and others I can't remember, and I think FP10 beat them all hands down, but that's just my opinion. Check out the website for MPC (maker of FP10). www.mpc-home.com

It is a CLP and absolutely great stuff. It was tested by an independant lab with dozens of other lubes, (Breakfree, Eezox, Rigs products and numerous others) and won hands down. It beat Breakfree in the tests by 50:1. It was tested on the Scar Wear Index, Load Bearing Test and others I couldn't remember. It is a great lube and pretty much all you're going to need for you guns.

Kevin

·
Registered
57 Posts
A silicone-based product has inherent flaws -- it will gum up, because its rubbery, and it won't coat the metal.

minimize friction and protect the metal -- Mil-Comm's TW-25B is proven. Glock and Sig think so.

www.mil-comm.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts