1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had a nice BHP offered to me for $550. This seems pretty good to me but I just question how good.

I have wanted a BHP for a very long time but not so bad as to do anything about it. With the holidays coming up it is not the time I would most like to hit the savings so I would probably only jump if the deal was way too good to pass up.

The gun is absolutely mint. I saw no visible wear. I don't know if this means anything but it is the glossiest mk III I have ever seen. It almost looks like a high polish blue except it is too black. It has the factory rubber grips.

I thought the first 4 digits would be enough to look up the serial number for age. They are 510N. After a quick search I find I am one digit away from dating the gun. But apparently it is 90s vintage. I believe that the 2 included mags were 13 rounds so maybe pre-'94? It comes with no box.

What do you experts think? Would I be a fool to walk away at this price?

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
DW,

In my area $550 would be a good price for a cherry MKIII.
If I were looking for a cherry MKIII I would jump on that, fer sure.
My taste run to 40 S&W Hi Powers, personally.
If offered one for that price, I'd grab the seller by an ear lobe and drag him to the nearest ATM.

Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'd jump on it. By the way, Browning started using the 510 prefix in 1998. The first two letters after 510 will tell you the year made.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
550 United States currency is an outstanding price. A 510 serial number may very well be a euro model or a contract piece. It might not have the firing pin safety which is another plus to some. It may have the Browning SA roll mark. 510 is shown on the list but all mark llls I have seen in 9mm have been 511. Your prospective purchase may be a neat conversation piece as well as a smokin good deal.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to see if I can look it over better on Monday. I had about 2 minutes to look it over on Friday. I could be wrong about the serial. My memory isn't what it used to be.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Even if you are wrong on the serial number, these are getting really hard to find at that price. If the condition is there, buy it. It is good trade property if nothing else!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I paid $550.00 for my Mark III hard chrome model in 2001. Jump all over that!

I expect to pay about 1K for the .40 HP I want to get this ski season.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wasn't able to hook up with the guy today. Tomorrow evening. I will update.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well guys, I snoozed I losed. He sold the gun. Maybe the next BHP will be the one.

Truth be told, I am kind of relieved. I have an anniversary, a family vacation to Mickey's expensiveland (just kidding, I like the place as much as the kids do :biglaugh:), and Christmas coming up.

On top of that my daughter's orchestra teacher said the low end starter violin, which we bought last year just to see if she would stick with it, is holding her back. She has stuck with it so I have a violin to buy before year end too!

Probably not the best time to buy another toy for myself.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Understandable man. There have been guns I've waited on and it was better that I did since money was really too tight for another gun.

I went to Disneyland about 1984....my dad drove mom and I down there in the 1975 Pontiac Bonneville. It was a real joy to make that trip. We literally RAN from one ride to the next! I found a lost camera (just a cheap one) in a seat and we used that thing on into the 90's! I haven't been to FL since.

Violin lessons? THAT IS GREAT! I love the violin and I would love to learn how to play it one day.

Hopefully you and I both will find good HP's this year!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts