1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A LGS has a Colt GI model in 38 super that the claim is from 1962, I have not verified the date, but I have done a lot of business with them and believe them on the date. The pistol is about 95% in my opinion, they are asking 1700, seems high to me, any thoughts?

thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
You could purchase a new one for the same money. Or, you could "up-buy" and get a Special Combat Government in 38 super that's already tuned and ready to go.

I'll have to assume there's a strong collectors market for the pre-70's Super 38's for you to consider paying that amount.

Good luck! PLEASE post pictures!!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
$1700 will buy a LOT more gun.

Bob

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I can get a polished Stainless full size Colt in .38 Super for < 1200 from a larger local gun store. So, 1700 seems outrageous to me. Just wanted to get another opinion.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
There are plenty of new available right now for around a grand give or take. You might want to review the sticky on 38 super barrels above if you are considering it for a shooter. You would most likely need to replace the barrel. I do not see it as collectible or worth close to that by a good margin.

I bought a Combat Commander in pre-series 80 recently for much less and they should be rarer than a GM I would think. It is in the process of re-barrel and some other touches right now for carry purposes. I would have been happy with a 1991 series 80 CC but could not locate one.

Keep looking and good luck.

Eta: I think the polished stainless has been a little slow in sales and that is why they brought back the blue model after a couple of years of being out of production.

·
Registered
23,221 Posts
That is silly high for that old guy. Bought a new Gov. a few months ago for $927 down here, so you get a new pistol, headspace on the case mouth not the semi rim, etc.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I bought a 2013-produced Colt for $950 about six months ago. If you're buying to shoot, I'd get a new one. As DAKOTA1911 wrote, the post-1989 models head space on the case mouth, and they're much more accurate.

If you're a collector, you may not mind paying the $1,700.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
I don't know why some folks are talking about new guns when this thread is about a '62 38 Super, which would be a valuable piece...

Verify the year, then do some more research. Post the serial # and someone here will set you straight. Sounds like a nice pistol! :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
You mentioned "GI" model and 1962 in your post. If you are thinking that it is an actual USGI model and that is why you are questioning the 1962..you are correct. It can't be a GI model. It is probably a Gov model..obiovusly Pre 70's and in the condition you mentioned would have collector value. If you want a shooter…buy a new one, either the polished std or the blue one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts