1911Forum banner

Price checks- Series 70

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  JRyan 
#1 ·
Considering finding a LNIB Series 70. Aside from the online crooks, what have folks been seeing them going for in shops and at shows?

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

#3 ·
I traded a Para Ordnance P-12 that I had $525 in and got a 70 series Satin Combat Commander that is in very good shape. I have done a little work on it and it shoots great. I have seen a couple on the auctions for over $600. Like yourself I am always looking a good deal.

#7 ·
Yip-yow! That's a good price. Bet they didn't stay on the table very long! Our local show last weekend has been a casualty of 'Colt Fever,' where ANYTHING carrying the 'pony' is considered a gold mine for the seller. Wish some of your 'reality' would drift down our way.
coyote

#8 ·
I don't know about where you guys are but gun shows in the South East (Dixie) are not where prudent buyers go to buy guns. You can go to look at guns and even buy accessories. You can chat with the dealers about what's hot and what's not. You can network and even fellowship but if you buy anything you either:

1. Paid too much.

2. Dickered until you were exhausted and didn't get to do any of the aforementioned activities.

3. Got stuck with a defective POS and have no way to return it.

4. Were extreeemely lucky.

I frequently hear about other gun shows in other areas where things are different. If I am ever in their area when there is a gun show, maybe I'll see for myself.

I buy on-line.

PigPen

#9 ·
I guess I was extreeemly lucky because last week a guy I work with asked if I wanted to buy this colt 45 so I told him sure I'll look at it. So when he brought it he said he wanted 600 for it and it was a series 70 nickel, gov't mod. that had hardly been used, he got it from his uncle whom he traded his Ruger 44 mag and said he didn't like the 45.I tried to talk him into keeping it but he didn't want it so I took off his hands.
Let me tell you it shoots great.

#10 ·
Recent Ser 70 purchases:

NIB (everything pristine and complete) Series 70 Colt from a dealer in Ohio I was calling on another gun. (Never hurts to ask what else is in the store.) $700 +25 shipping and a gratis transfer from my local dealer.

95% Combat Commander (Ser 70 w/ smooth grips & nice blue) from a local dealer. All original - $525 out the door.

85% Gold/Cup/Match Ser 70 from a local dealer - $450 - pistol needed all new springs and a heck of a cleaning.

P.S. Passed up many others for some crazy high prices (how about $1,400 for a NIB Government, $995 for a very used Commander ... !!!!)

Hope this helps,

Roger D

[This message has been edited by Roger D (edited 11-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Roger D (edited 11-26-2001).]

#11 ·
DSK, from what I've seen on the net you can snatch a NIB or ANIB ser 70 in the $700+- range.I feel this is a fair price for one in this condition.Took a gold cup 80 and a combat gvmt 80 to a local show last wkend and the first question was is either a ser 70, they seem to be commanding higher prices every month and I guess they should, since they are getting very hard to find. So...if you are in the market you had better strike soon!

#12 ·
I agree with PigPen that gun shows (my area too) never offer great deals. If anything, stuff is priced rediculously high. The last show I went to had a S&W Sigma for $619, and no, I'm not kidding. I've seen blued 1991s on tables for $699. I guess the individuals roaming around selling their own stuff could offer tremendous deals, but that's just luck that you'd find exactly what you want from them. Plus I don't like the fact that even if you buy a brand new gun from a dealer, chances are 500 people have handled, dry-fired, slammed the slide/one-hand flipped cylinders on revolvers, or maybe even dropped the thing prior to you buying it. If I buy a new gun, I have to be the one to wipe off the factory grease (maybe I'm just a little anal retentive on that one). I think gun shows are great though, I go to every one I can. I just like to look around and get ideas. I don't like to talk to the dealers anymore, though. Because of all the shows that I've been to, only ONE dealer was up to speed on Colt's progress. And that's because she worked there a couple years ago. She sold me a new government, incidentally. Last one I went to, no dealer in the place (200+) had any idea about new rollmarks, current Gold Cups, Anacondas, Pythons, etc. etc. None of them.

#13 ·
Originally posted by sousana:
At the recent gun show this weekend, a dealer had 4 blued series 70 Colt's, brand new in box and was asking $565 each.
Sousana, was this at the Hampton gun show? If it was that one, I must have missed it or got there too late (Sunday). I only saw one - Govt model. I don't remember the price as I was looking for commander model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.