1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
scrap lead price is very regional. As a bullet caster I have paid anywhere from Free to 50 cents a pound for Wheel Weights which are my favorite. I have seen lead smelted into ingots sell for over a $1 a pound on ebay. I usually give around 25 cents per pound for used wheel weights when I can get them, but good clean lead would be worth up to 50 cents a pound to me in ingot form. Oh, I'm in Kansas.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I pay 15¢/lb. I get WW free from tire shops. They have to pay for the recycler to take them in. The recycler double dips. When the shops are dry then I go buy it from the recycler. He is pretty good to me though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
freakshow,

Sounds like you have a good deal going, around here scrougers are beating the bushes for lead to sell to the recyclers. Most of the large tire shops have contracted with the battery companies to sell only to them. I have told my relates and friends to stock up as a lot of wheel weights are now zinc or steel.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Pretty hard to find lead at the tire shops and such around my part of MO. The ones I stopped at said they were contracting to a scrap dealer in Lebanon, MO.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Jaguar,

Are you looking to buy or sell? There's quite a few scrap yards in and around the Metro Detroit area. Your best bet is going to be to call around and see what their prices are. Make sure you let them know whether you want to buy from them or sell to them - the prices are different.

If you're looking for lead, good luck to you. Pretty much all the tire/auto shops have recycling contracts for all of their lead, batteries, etc... All of the managers/owners of these places (Discount, Belle, Sam's, Costco, Firestone, Sears, etc...) must be paranoid of something happening or have some pretty strict Regs to follow/document. None would sell me their lead, even though I offered to pay a hefty premium over what their recycler was giving them.

You may have the best luck just walking around their parking lots after hours. Most of the time you can find quite a few used wheel weights just lying around.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've had a bit of luck lately asking dealership shops for some wheel weights. They don't have the bulk exchange policy or volume that dedicated tire shops have. if they don't have to hazmat it, they seem to be happy around here to get it out of the shop. Never forget to ask if you have actually bought tires or had shop service to your car..you are usually good for 10-20 pounds as a courtesy. Even if you slide the tire guy $5 for 10 or 15 lbs..it'l keep you in lead.

I recently scored four 25 lb bricks of pure lead. The place has pallets of it, but the guy I got it from couldn't give me too much since the shop technically owned it all (he wouldn't take cash). Lead is funny..on one hand, it is a hazardous material that many places want to get rid of, on the other hand, 4 pallets of lead is worth money. pretty sure they used it for use around radioactive isotopes for medical experiments.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Mtgrs737 said:
freakshow,

Sounds like you have a good deal going, around here scrougers are beating the bushes for lead to sell to the recyclers. Most of the large tire shops have contracted with the battery companies to sell only to them. I have told my relates and friends to stock up as a lot of wheel weights are now zinc or steel.
I'm way up in the UP. Not a lot of reloaders or bullet casters up here. I lucked out.

·
Registered
672 Posts
lead closed today at $1.1344/lb according to kitco.com
Also, beware of any zinc in your lead. It will render lead almost uncastable.

FWIW

dj

·
Registered
330 Posts
Zinc

I've been hoarding used wheel weights for some time now and I've been sorting the tape on weights to a different container. With all the different style of weights how do you determine which ones are zinc? Does any one have any pics they could post?
Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Zinc weights have a different sound when you tap them on the concrete, they also may have the steel clip riveted on to them instead of cast in like lead, some are have the letters "Zn" cast in to them. Zinc is harder than lead and will float on top of molten lead that is under 700 degrees, so get a thermometer and keep your smelting pot under 700.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mtgrs737 said:
Zinc weights have a different sound when you tap them on the concrete, they also may have the steel clip riveted on to them instead of cast in like lead, some are have the letters "Zn" cast in to them. Zinc is harder than lead and will float on top of molten lead that is under 700 degrees, so get a thermometer and keep your smelting pot under 700.
That'll work. I look for the tell tail signs you've pointed out and when it's time to get into smelting I'll look them over again and watch my temps.
Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts