1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question for the great gunsmiths here.I have a brand new TRP with no bowtie at all,that section is smooth and even.I am wondering what it would cost to get that fixed.Just looked at my 1970 model colt and it has a perfect
bowtie on it,go figure. Thanks guys..by the way I am a little disappointed in Springfield.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Thanks Chuck,that don't sound bad at all,i think I will take my chances whenever you are ready to do it....
Would be money VERY well spent. While there are no guarantees in life; I'd expect you'd be guaranteed a perfect job.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
I have this Colt that was built in some of the darker Colt days in the early 80s to early 90s. I bought this pistol because it came with Chuck's invoice. The invoice is faded. You can tell on the inside this pistol has a high round count. I am willing to bet PW corrected the vis as it has a very nice bow tie and many Colts from this period did not. Still has no ambi:bawling: but Chuck may get around to that one day.:)

·
Premium Member
7,712 Posts
Me too ?????

·
Banned
7,730 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The purpose of the bowtie thing is that the barrel feet would contact the frame at the junction of the feet and the barrel.

In this case, what would happen if you just file the feet a little , say about .1" from the junction, wouldn't it serve the same purpose?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
In this case, what would happen if you just file the feet a little , say about .1" from the junction, wouldn't it serve the same purpose?
Those feet aren't very thick to start with and they are what prevent the barrel and slide from flying off the frame. I would relieve the frame personally.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Well, I'm talking just about 5 strokes of the file to keep the lower part of the feet away from the frame.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Those feet aren't very thick to start with and they are what prevent the barrel and slide from flying off the frame. I would relieve the frame personally.
Some folks would say doing both would be ideal. A couple of thousanths of relief on the barrel feet probably isn't going to hurt anything if the smallest area of the feet is over .100.

Schuemann barrels come with this relief as an added safety measure.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm sure it's just a typo, but filing off just .1" MIGHT cause an issue. :)

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Schuemann barrels come with this relief as an added safety measure.

Will Schuemann doesn't know which frames his barrels are going to be mated to and provides the cut so that they won't break when used in a frame which isn't suitably cut.

I still think preparing the frame correctly is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Jeff in Co.....

I'm pretty sure he means the tips of the barrel lug not being machined less that .100 inch

The relief machined by Sheumann may be .005 inch. Just enough to keep a gap between them and the frame and not compromise the strength of the lug.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Chuck, you should design, patent, and sell a jig fixture that allows hobby gunsmiths and amateurs to perform this machining process at home.

That is, before I beat you to it! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Will Schuemann doesn't know which frames his barrels are going to be mated to and provides the cut so that they won't break when used in a frame which isn't suitably cut.

I concur. I would do the frame mod first and the barrel lugs as a last resort.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts

Absolutely. The frame should have the cut. Like I said, having one or the other works. Having both is ideal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts