1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colt Commander .45 Pre 70`s made in 1951 serial# 11938-LW. I would like to know what it is worth.If it isn`t worth that much I was going to have it customized.It is completely original and about 80% of the finnish is still on the frame.Not much wear on the slide just on the frame where your hands hold when you are shooting.Thanks in advance.By the way I`m only looking for a ballpark figure.

·
Administrator
74,721 Posts
Early Commanders are highly sought by some, so it may be unwise to modify it. Value is dependent on region, but here in the NW it would probably bring $800 or so.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the same version in 38 Super. Would the value be more or less than the 45? The reason I ask is because I have been thinking of selling it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by westendg:
I have the same version in 38 Super. Would the value be more or less than the 45? The reason I ask is because I have been thinking of selling it. Thanks
Depends on where you are and what the local market is like. In our area the .45's are vastly more popular, and most people won't buy a 9mm or .38 super. (well, except me :)

there are a lot of people on the www.pistolsmith.com forums that like the 9X23, and that's probably a good place to start if you're looking to sell.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I bought one of similar vintage three years ago for $450. Internally, it was excellent; externally, it only had about 60% of the finish left. Mine has since been refinished, and had a couple of other mods done which probably reduced the value to others, but were stuff I like.

The price may have been less because it was an area with no CCW for civilians.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
New XSE Lightweight Commanders are selling at our shop for $879. But we are not talking about collector value - at least not for a little while yet!

I would have the gun looked at by one of the local 1911 collectors at your next Gun Show - they usually know what the market is like.

I would not alter that gun myself, as it does have some collectability. If you want a shooter, the new guns are far better in terms of fit, features and metallurgy. Sell the old model to a collector that appreciates it and buy a new Colt. Everyone wins in a deal like that. Once you make a permanent alteration - any collector value is gone, of course.

One Man's take on the situation.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,I think I will leave it the way it is and keep it or trade it the way it is for a newer one.

------------------
14 is better than 8

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was told that this is a Springfield Armory test pistol.What does that mean?

------------------
14 is better than 8

1 - 8 of 8 Posts