1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,
Today out in town, I was able to find primers (1000) for about 20.00 after taxes and W231(1 pound) for about 19.00 after taxes. How's that compare to what you guys are paying?

Can I order much cheaper on-line? They normally want to charge hazmat charges in addition to UPS charges. I figure I made out OK today, but will likely need to shop around some more.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I've been getting large pistol win's and cci's locally for about $18.00 a K but dillons has a better price but in order to bypass the hazmat you have to buy a lot.

·
Super Moderator
15,046 Posts
Bought 5000 each Winchester small & large pistol primers at a gun show a couple of weeks ago for $62.50 each, tax included. I've found the most economical way to buy primers & powder is in larger quantities at gun shows. That way you avoid Hazmat, shipping and taxes.

RR

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing about the gunshows is that around here it's about 8.00 to get in , nd most of the stuff is overpriced (slidell LA). The stuff that isn't is usuallly junk.

Maybe I did get a decent deal...

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Retired Rod, what gun shows are you going to in MO? The only gun show around here takes place about every 3 months in Lebanon and I haven't found any reloading stuff there yet. The best deal I can find is on Ft. Leonard Wood and they charge about $72 for 5000 WLP and $110 for 8 lbs of W231. I'm retired Army so I can buy from the Rod and Gun Club.

·
Registered
560 Posts
don't think you did to bad

I paid 17.95 for the firts thousand WLP i bought before tax and the 19.95 for the first pound of 231 i bought at a shop.

Last gun show i bought another thousand WLP for 14.95 and 4 lbs of w231 for 52.95.. totals with tax $72.00

paid 7 bucks to get into the show.

So i didnt really save a whole lot going to the show, but it was easy to get and I bought some other stuff at the show so it was worth it.

buying online your going to pay Hazmat shipping fee's, i think they are around $20.00 or so.. not sure how that works totally though.

good luck.

Jeff.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I'm paying around $18.50 for 1K primers and about a dollar more for W231. I can easily pay much more if I don't shop around. I buy at local shops only if desperate.

I can get 5000 primers for $70 and 8 lbs of W231 for something like $95 (I can't really remember, but it's a good deal) at gunshows. I can make up for the parking and ticket easily with the primers alone. Sometimes I'll run into a good deal on bullets, but this is rare. Gun shows have gone downhill in the last few years.

I think gun shows are your best bet for good deals. Hazmat sucks you dry unless you order a ton of supplies.

·
Registered
233 Posts
gibrass!

I buy my primers at a local mom and pop reloading shop(wow great name for a business lol).
$17 per thousand,and usually pick up great deals on partial kegs of powders that customers didnt like,etc.
gibrass has quite a few great powders for $80 delivered to your door including shipping and hazmat,buy 4 kegs and jeff waives the hazmat.
230 grain fmj bullets for my 45 guns run $60 thousand,I usually order 3000 bullets and 4 kegs of powder at christmas,and the powder lasts me all year.
bullets are the most expensive componants,I need to re up about every couple months.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Best Prices

I get all of my supplies from the local distributor who sells retail as well.

Small (1lb) containers:

Clays - $12.49 + tax
H110 - $15.09 "
H414 - $15.49 "
H1000 - $15.99 "
Titegroup - $14.49 "

Win LP primers - $13.69/1000 + tax
Win LR primers - $1.39/100 "

Win Brass 44 Mag - $11.49/100
Win 45 ACP Brass - $10.99/100

Win 230gr FMJ 45 ACP - $7.19/100
Win 240gr 44 Mag HP - $9.79/100

Nosler 240gr JHP 44 Mag - $25.20/250

Dog

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could not find Winchester primers locally, so I ended up with Federal. Are those OK? I remember Dillon at one time mentioned their presses were finniky with CCI primers, so I figured Federal was OK.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I live in LA and you can find those items much cheaper at e-reloading.com, this is Waggenspack reloading site and is located in Gonzales, LA but he travels to all the large gun shows in the area. I pay 14.99 for 1k Win. small and large pistol and 1lb of 231 for 16.99 or 4lb for 57.99. If you use Titegroup you can get it for around $12/lb. give him a call, he is a real nice guy, better yet take a ride to his shop, but bring alot of cash because he has everything you can think of for reloading include Dillion presses in stock.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!!
Wish I'd have known about him sooner!! I'm sure he hits the Slidell and New Orleans guns shows.

Can't remember how far Gonzales is from Slidell, but can't be but an hour or so. Isn't it near B.R?

I'll check out the website ASAP. Great tip Todd.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
MiWall sells them at the local shows for $12.50 a box of 1K, pretty much any size. There usually a couple of tables that sell them for right around $13 at the SF Cow Palace show. No shipping because you carry them out, no haz-mat, etc. MiWall charges sales tax though, just like the shops.

·
Registered
104 Posts
dsonyay, Gonzales, LA is about an hour from Slidell. I would recommend calling or emailing him about when he will be in the shop as he works a full time job as well. Other shops to try in New Orleans is Toms Sporting Goods, St. Bernard indoor range and Meraux Food and Sporting. They are all around the Judge Perez RD area in Chalmette. Waggenspack has there prices beat though if you can afford to buy bulk.

·
Registered
14,967 Posts
If you live in Kalifornia, the price of powder and primers is the least of your worries! ;)

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I recently made a buy from Natchez.

8 lb Win 231 - 99.99 (my all around 45 powder)
8 lb AA#5 - 99.99 (use for my 45 factory duplicate ball and JHP loads)
8 lb AA#7 - 99.99 (9x23, 357 sig, 38 super)
I also bought 1 lb IMR 4350 - don't recall the price (30-06)

So the pistol powders worked out to about 12.50 per pound before shipping and hazmat fees. Fees totalled about 40 bucks. Call it 1.50 per pound for fees/delivery and you get to about 14.00 delivered to my front door for all of that powder. (actually it was about 1.20 a pound so I was technically at 13.70 per pound avg cost).

You do have to be a heavy shooter, or go in with buddies for this kind of buying to work. Not everyone fronts almost 400 bucks for a load of powder. Still, over local prices with sales tax I conservatively saved at least 5 bucks a pound. Over 33 pounds of powder that's $165 savings.

For primers, Natchez has Fed 150s for 13.00 per thou IIRC. Probably about 15 bucks delivered if you order in quantity. I usually order about 15K at a crack.

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts