1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to handloading. My first 500 rounds, I used new Starline brass. I just cleaned up 500 rounds of once-fired Fiocchi brass, and when attempting to seat my first primer, noticed some difficulty, to the extent I am scared of forcing it and causing it to explode. I've tried several with the same result. I measured the width of the primer pocket, and the Fiocchi pockets are .248-.249, whereas the Starline pockets are .251 - .252. I'm using CCI primers. What next ? Are there some primers that anyone knows work fine with the Fiocchi pockets ?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm not aware of any smaller diameter primers. I've never used Fiocchi brass, but it sounds as if the primer pockets were factory crimped (the same as military brass). If that is the case, you will have to swage or ream the pockets.

Good luck,

Eddie

·
Registered
417 Posts
Three possibilities:

1. The primer pockets were crimped as Eddie says, and need to be reamed. You can buy a special reamer, or use a bottom drill bit.

2. The primer pockets are okay, but the case isn't lined up exactly centered over the primer stud that holds the primer. This happens to me from time to time with my RCBS. What I do is lower the ram until I can feel the primer lightly bump up against the bottom of the case, hold it there, and spin the case in the shell holder a little with my spare hand. If the primer is a little off-center, you should feel it center itself with a soft click. Then complete the seating. It takes a little time and practice to develop the right "feel" for this process, but it works every time.

3. I include this just to be thorough. I don't really think it's happening, but....? You're trying to seat large pistol magnum primers, or large rifle primers, or even large rifle magnum primers. I did that when I first started reloading, and couldn't understand why I couldn't seat any primers until I read the labeling on the box.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I just cleaned up my Starline brass, and the primers seat easily with Starline. I've noticed the Fiocchi primer pockets are almost perfectly squared off at the rim, whereas the Starline are more rounded, i.e., forgiving as far as alignment is concerned. I've got some other misc. brass around that I'll experiment with. I may just not reload the Fiocchi.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I sounds like this brass is crimped. It's no big deal and you can remove the crimp with your chamfering tool or a countersink bit designed for wood screws for small qualtities of brass.

Don't toss the brass. A few seconds of work will result in useable cases.

·
Registered
550 Posts
CCI primers are slightly larger which exacerbates the problem. Dillon recommends CCI's not be used in their machines due to possible primer feed mechanism jams.

You may find Winchester primers easier to deal with, in addition to being cheaper.

Removing primer pocket crimp can be done, but once I got an adequate supply of brass I quit using brass with crimped primer pockets. In a progressive machine, they are not worth the trouble, and can lead to errors due to interrupting the loading process. Using a single stage press, they are fine if you can put up with the hassle.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Originally posted by KLN:
CCI primers are slightly larger which exacerbates the problem. Dillon recommends CCI's not be used in their machines due to possible primer feed mechanism jams.

(snipped for brevity)

Thanks KLN, I had forgotten about that. I had the same problem with CCI primers. They were very hard to seat, and were damaged during the seating process much more often than any others I tried. The anvils fall out a lot, too.

I use Winchester exclusively, now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts