1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with similar problems with their Hornady LNL AP?

After 6 weekends of tuning my LNL AP, I'm still having problems with the primer feed and cartridges caught up on the case ejector.

The primer feed is not dispensing primers, so I end up with cartridges without primers and have power spilling out of the primer hole onto the press and bench. I've also dropped 80 primers over my garage floor from disassembling the primer assembly.

The other problem is the case ejector not ejecting cases into the cartidge bin. They get stuck on the ejector wire in part due to the case retaining spring not sliding under the spring channel/slot under the 5th station. I'm using a Lee FCD, but not touching the ejector wire.

I've nearly had it and want to get some comments from anyone with similar issues and what solutions found before calling Hornady to challenge them on their 'no risk' warranty.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,931 Posts
I've read several posts on this and other boards that Hornady recently changed their priming system to a system similar to Dillon's, where you can pre-load tubes and drop the primers into a permanent tube that's mounted on the machine. Do you have that system?

At any rate, I'd give Hornady a call. Their customer service is great and they will stand by their warranty....you won't have to do any challenging. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check to make sure your shell plate is cleaned of all factory lube. This stuff if very sticky, which may be causing your spring to stick. I also had to adjust the case ejector wire to make it function properly. The procedure for adjusting is in your manual. Everytime I've called Hornady they've helped me out.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Hornady uses two diameter springs if you have the larger one it will not fit in the groove that it's supposed to ride in. The primer feed should work like a charm but it sounds like something is wrong. Are you sure everything is set for the size primer that your using? You never told us what shells and plate your using. Also make sure the shell plate has 2 detent balls on the bottom. Some dealers are still selling the older Pro-jector plates but they will not work on the LNL/AP., there is also a problem with the retainer springsize. Hornady will be glad to set it up for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using the new subplate that had the extension on the left side for a case feeder assembly.

I've cleaned the factory lube before loading 2 months ago. But I'll clean thorougly again. Each time I run a batch of primers, I would clean the primer assembly.

I'm using shell #1 for 45 ACP. I'll give Hornady a call and see what they recommend and keep you updated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the previous generation LNL AP, so my suggestions may not be 100% applicable to your setup. Does the primer carrier slide back and forth freely in its slot? If you feel any rough spots, you should polish them out. As you use the press, over time crud will build up in the slot, particulary at the front end where the spring-loaded plunger lives. If enough crud accumulates there, the hole in the primer carrier won't be positioned directly over the plunger, and the plunger won't be able to push the primer into the cartridge. You might want to use some Flitz and a polishing wheel on a Dremel to make sure there are no rough spots on the primer carrier. While you're at it, disassemble the plunger assembly and polish the top surface and side of the plunger. Test by reassembling the plunger without the spring- it should be very smooth. Also verify that the primer carrier (without its spring) slides smoothly in its slot. Reassemble the plunger and carrier using the springs. Use a lubricant that won't attract crud, one that dries leaving no residue (graphite, Hornady dry lube, FP-10, etc.)

On my generation press/primer assembly, the length of the primer tubes is critical. The bottom of the primer tube sticks into the top of the primer assembly. If the tube goes too far into the primer assembly, it will interfere with the primer carrier. If the tube doesn't go in far enough, the primers drop out of the tube and can get cockeyed before they enter the hole in the primer carrier. There is a rubber ring near the bottom of my primer tube. The ring looks like its a section of rubber tubing about half an inch long, and it's a tight fit around the brass primer tube. The distance from the edge of the rubber ring to the bottom of the primer tube determines how much clearance you have above the primer carrier. I have not seen the new primer assembly, so I don't know if they still use this design or not. Regardless, there has to be _some_ way to set the clearance between the bottom of the primer tube and the primer carrier. Check with Hornady or perhaps someone with a new press can verify the correct length. Logically, the bottom of the primer tube should be far enough that it doesn't touch the primer carrier, but not further than the height of a primer.

I had occasional problems when the primer tube had fewer than 10 primers in it. I went to Home Depot and bought a dowel rod to use as a weight. It's just the right diameter to fit inside the primer tube. After all the primers have been dispensed, there are still a few inches (of dowel) sticking up beyond the top of the primer tube. I wrapped a piece of duct tape around the dowel right where it hits the primer tube. This gives me a nice visual indicator as I'm reloading. As the tape gets closer to the top of the primer tube, I know just how many primers I have left.

I never could get the Lee FCD to work with the wire ejector. Hornady's advice was to get one of their crimp dies. I did, and of course it works fine with their ejector. I really like the Lee FCD, though, and wish I could use it AND the ejector. I read somewhere that someone ground off the bottom of the Lee die and got it to work with the Hornady ejector, but haven't tried it.

Regards,

- Steve Hull

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I have a LNL AP and SHull is giving some pretty good advise. Not a lot I can add to it. My only problem is that the primer seating pin, or what ever you want to call it, can work it's way loose and cause problems. I always make sure it is clean, the cap snug, and that the primer slide carrier moves freely.

I use a Hornady crimp die and have not problems with it ejecting cases. You probably just need to "bend" it a little.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I run two LNL/AP's one for small primers and one for large. I took the primer plunger and locktited the nut on. It hasn't come loose yet in three years. On the one press I bent the wire a little to clear the full length sizing die. I can't remember which one it is but I believe its the 9mm lee. Let us know what Hornady says. On the primer feed tubes I took a piece of gas welding rod and bent a little l at the top. It keeps some weight on the primers and it stop before getting caught in the mechanism. It works perfectly and slides nicely in the tube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts