1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've loaded a couple thousand rounds on my Lee Turret now, but am still having a minor, if annoying, problem with the primer seating operation. Unlike a lot of guys, I have never had a problem getting the safety prime to drop a primer into the priming arm. My problem comes on the downstroke when the primer is seated in the case. Probably about 7 times out of 10, the case is not lined up just right with the primer arm socket, and I am unable to seat the primer without physically holding the case against the rear of the shell holder. I've gotten into the habit of just sticking my finger on the bottom of the case after I get the primer set onto the primer arm as a result. The result is I slow down quite a bit on the bullet seating die - I've got less time to try and manipulate the bullet into the right position to set it in the belled case. I've seen a few videos of guys loading with the Turret, and none of them seem to have this problem.

Anyways, have any of you guys had this problem? I suspect it's probably my shell holder, but if any of you guys have had this problem and have the solution handy, it would save me a bit of time in troubleshooting. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would guess it is the shell holder I have the a similar issue with mine. That's why I changed up to the hand primer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
don't think you have your shellholder adjusted right, there should be a screw on the bottom of it and just try it in diff positions. Had the same problems in my lee 1000

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I own the Lee Classic Turret press. Your shellholder is not adjustable. The only adjustment you can make is to twist the top of the ram to reposition the angle of the primer arm, but DO NOT DO THAT! If you are seating primers in the pocket of the primer arm correctly, that is properly adjusted, and as you note, some of us have trouble getting the Safety Prime device properly adjusted for this, so don't mess with yours.

If you are having to fiddle with the case to get the primer to seat correctly, you need a new shellholder. I've had that problem, others here have had that problem, and a new shellholder in a properly working Turret press is the fix. Folks with other presses who have this problem can stop posting what worked on their press because, although it is perfectly workable fix for the other press, it won't help you.

There are no adjustments you can make on a Lee Turret Press other than twisting the top of the ram to reposition the angle of the primer arm. This will not affect primer seating, only seating a primer in the primer arm pocket, as I mentioned. The shell holder simply clips into the top of the ram, there are no adjustments.

1. Get a new shell holder and you will likely find it works fine. Lee will send you one for free, if you call them.

2. If you try a new shell holder and still have problems, send the press back to Lee, it's not right. They'll take care of it for you and make you happy.

[/thread]

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! Its nice to have my suspicions confirmed. I've got a buddy here in town that reloads in 45 ACP, so I'll probably ask him if I can borrow his shell holder. We'll see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I noticed that with the opening in the shell holder at 9 o-clock I had a few problems with the primer aligning with the primer pocket. I turned the opening a little toward 6 0-clock and the problems went away. Without a case in the shell holder is the arm going up through the shell holder OK?
Rusty

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The arm does go through the shell holder with no problems. I actually have my shell holder opening at the 6 o clock position right now. I'll probably turn it to some different positions and see how it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts