1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me lightweight Officer model is striking the primers off center. The barrel does have a little up and down play when I press down on it through the port on the slide. But the gun shoots exactly where you point it. It has been worked on by someone in the past, chamber opened up for feeding, new sights and God only knows what else. But is this something I should be concerned about? Like I said, it shoots to point of aim, each and every time.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Your pistol needs some work. Either find a gunsmith or do a lot of reading. I'm serious

The off center firing pin strike is just one more symptom of your barrel fit problem. It is possible that your pistol can be made OK with nothing more than a link change. It is also possible that you are looking at a new barrel.

I wish you luck.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
61 Posts
In my experience- I wouldn't panic yet. A well-fitted barrel can easily be a few thou above nominal slide centerline, and a few thou looks like a lot. The human eye is extremely good at detecting nonconcentricity on this scale. A barrel slightly high is no problem.A barrel sitting low can lead to peening of the top lugs, but it usually shows up in poor accuracy, which you don't seem to have. Long-linking can lead to a whole new can of worms.
Try this: reference mark a live round with a fine felt pen and chamber it w/mark on top (press-check to verify), fire it and examine the fired case. if the pin strike is low (opposite the mark), the barrel is high and vice-versa.
There are offset firing pin bushings available to fix an offcenter strike, but they are only used when it is so bad as to cause ignition problems, and that is waaaay offcenter.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You don't say in which direction the strike point goes from center, and if you have ignition problems, or how far off-center the dimples are.

It's not the end of the world if the FP is striking the primer a little off-center. My M70 does, but I've never had an ignition problem caused by an off-center strike. In fact, the only igniton failure I've ever had was a CCI primer that didn't light when the FP hit it. Dud primer. That's in almost 25 years of use, and thousands of primers loaded.

If it bothers you, keep a close eye on it for signs of abnormal wear, fitting, etc., and remember the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I did look a little closer and you can see on the breech face where the primers are sitting. It is a little high. I also noticed that there is a little play in the barrel link pin and also some play in the slide stop pin hole on the link. I might just change out the slide stop and link/pin and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It may or may not be a symptom of another problem, but in and of itself it is not a problem as long as it's not so far off that it casues misfires. I have read that it does not effect accuracy, and my own experience reflects this. You prob'ly won't be shooting benchrest with a LW OACP anyway, right
?

If it is reliable, and has satisfactory accuracy, and never misfires, you're G2G.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Originally posted by ScottsGT:
The barrel does have a little up and down play when I press down on it through the port on the slide.
Perhaps I didn't explain myself. The problem isn't with the off center strikes. The problem is with the up and down movement when locked up. There shouldn't be any movement.

So either your barrel, link, or slide release hole is wore out. If your barrel isn't engaging the upper lugs adequately you'll destroy the barrel. Or you'll have a case blowout because the barrel unlocked too early. Or your link will break and launch your slide at the target.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Off-center FP seems to be the rule, not to worry if primer goes off. Make two meassurements : (1)from top of slide to top of barrel when in battery, (2) the same with slide retracted 1/2 " and barrel pressed to roof of slide. If (2) minus (1) is .045 or more not to worry, else you will have to raise barrel with longer link.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
This is not a big deal and you don't need to change your slide lock, just get a slightly longer link and replace it, or better yet just ignmore it. You don't really have a problem, most non custom 1911s have a little play in the barrel hood when in battery. Forget about it and enjoy your 1911.

7th

1 - 9 of 9 Posts