1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last couple of months, as you who follow this sub-forum know, I've posted a few "heads up" when I noted powders and bullets available at some of the major outlets. Those with the ability to act quickly have been able to purchase several of the more common pistol powders and even a couple rifle powders. Bullets are starting to show up in a few calibers. If you load 9mm, you can find 115gr HP and FMJs, 124gr FMJ, and even a few bullets for .38 Supers. If load for the S&W 500 you can find a large selection. Bullets for .38 Spl and .357 Mag occasionally pop up, but not in all bullet weights. Some .45 acp bullets are around, but very few for the .45 Colt. .44 Remington Magnum bullets just don't seem to appear at the current time.

One item I have not found are primers. No standard or magnum primers of any type. Occasionally I'll see some posted at prices I would describe as crazy stupid. A small assortment of brass is available, Starline lists very few as "available", a few as "Backorder Accepted", and the vast majority as "Backorder Not Accepted".

With the two recent "Mass Shootings" in Colorado filling up the National Media the next wave of "Gun Control Legislation" is about to hit us. So, I for one don't look for things to return to anywhere near normal availability in the near future.

Fellow Forum members, hunker down it's going to get tight(er).

My $0.02
Grumpy

Reactions: flgolfer29

·
Registered
42 Posts
Buddy and I ordered 10K SNS 200g .40's.. two cases are of the way, Ryan says, give me two weeks on the other 5k.. :)
Backordered some .357 from Starline, got a message in 36hr, my brass has been shipped..
Hopefully things will loosen up.. But shootings never help...

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Grumpy, this just feels different. I have been watching this since about the mid 1960’s. I have not seen things this acute. The internet helps. I do appreciate your efforts to help others with alerts to the forum on projectiles and powders. About the only thing I have bought in the last year has been new oddball size brass. My guess is when that dries up, it won’t be made again until the more common calibers are saturated again. And that could be awhile.

I wish I could be more optimistic.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grumpy, this just feels different. I have been watching this since about the mid 1960’s. I have not seen things this acute. The internet helps. I do appreciate your efforts to help others with alerts to the forum on projectiles and powders. About the only thing I have bought in the last year has been new oddball size brass. My guess is when that dries up, it won’t be made again until the more common calibers are saturated again. And that could be awhile.

I wish I could be more optimistic.
Some claim the pandemic has made an impact on this, coupled with the election of an openly anti-gun President and a dangerously divided congress. Some claim it doesn't. We've had mass shootings in the past, but never connected with a forced 1 1/2 year "lockdown". This time it's more like the perfect storm, all the worst potential conditions coming together at one time.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
9,017 Posts
You can bet, in an effort to divert attention away from the recent failure at the border, that any and every gun related incident will be blown out of proportion. Gun control will be the blabber of the day and this nightmare will be prolonged.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
There was a post here a month or so ago about a discord group... real time alerts to anything and everything ammo and reloading. And you sign up for alerts to what you want.

I signed up just to stay informed.... and I've had opportunities to buy primers at least 2x week since. All varieties. (you've got to be quick but they are popping up almost daily) Every powder I have ever wanted seems to pop up every day or two. Projectiles & brass as well. Loaded ammo is there as well but prices vary widely. Reloading presses, dies, powder measures, etc., again sign up for what interests you.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Last week I walked into my favorite LGS and they just got in a shipment of SPP. My name was on their call list so I picked up 3000 CCI SPP, not my preferred brand but I'll take what I can get. Oh yeah, $39 a brick, same as pre-panic.

Did I mention that they're my favorite LGS?

·
Premium Member
9,017 Posts
There was a post here a month or so ago about a discord group... real time alerts to anything and everything ammo and reloading. And you sign up for alerts to what you want.

I signed up just to stay informed.... and I've had opportunities to buy primers at least 2x week since. All varieties. (you've got to be quick but they are popping up almost daily) Every powder I have ever wanted seems to pop up every day or two. Projectiles & brass as well. Loaded ammo is there as well but prices vary widely. Reloading presses, dies, powder measures, etc., again sign up for what interests you.
Are you beginning to see an uptick of availability? Or is it a continual slow bleed, kinda like the BS on EBay where they say “only one left”, but the next day, there is another.

·
Registered
347 Posts
LGS here are getting regular shipments of everything just not in huge quantities. Limits on purchases remain in place.

Having good luck trading with fellow shooters and especially shooters who no longer shoot and are selling off their equipment and supplies.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I don't this is any different at all. I was not long into reloading during the first Obama election. I remember waiting quite a while to find supplies. This happens pretty much every time we have a presidential election, especially if folks think the Dems are going to get the white house. As I've mentioned on this forum a few times in the recent past....learn your lesson this time. I did all those years ago. I started buying supplies about 1-1/2 years ago and should be good for another 1-2 years now. So buy what you can now when you find it, and when things get back to normal, keep stocked up ahead. And by all means, start buying BEFORE we get close to the next presidential election.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Seconds on that notification link

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Are you beginning to see an uptick of availability? Or is it a continual slow bleed, kinda like the BS on EBay where they say “only one left”, but the next day, there is another.
I believe so... and it's certainly been more consistent. Early on I mostly saw sleeves of 100 with an occasional 1k box, but last few weeks it's been 1k boxes and cases. Twice this week they had cases of SRP and LPP. It was decent qty's shown, like 10-15 cases, by the time I checked.

They still sell out lightning quick but they can be had.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a Granddaughter that would give you all my primers if she heard that!

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
9,017 Posts
I don't this is any different at all. I was not long into reloading during the first Obama election. I remember waiting quite a while to find supplies. This happens pretty much every time we have a presidential election, especially if folks think the Dems are going to get the white house. As I've mentioned on this forum a few times in the recent past....learn your lesson this time. I did all those years ago. I started buying supplies about 1-1/2 years ago and should be good for another 1-2 years now. So buy what you can now when you find it, and when things get back to normal, keep stocked up ahead. And by all means, start buying BEFORE we get close to the next presidential election.
This is a little different than the Obozo mess. You could still go to a gun show and grab powder for $35 and primers were available here and there. This is a complete vacuum, largely due to the Virus stopping supply and manufacture globally and the stock getting sucked up.

·
Premium Member
9,017 Posts
I believe so... and it's certainly been more consistent. Early on I mostly saw sleeves of 100 with an occasional 1k box, but last few weeks it's been 1k boxes and cases. Twice this week they had cases of SRP and LPP. It was decent qty's shown, like 10-15 cases, by the time I checked.

They still sell out lightning quick but they can be had.
Thank you for the update.
I think it may indicate that ammo sales are slowing. Some folks must be satisfied with their stockpile at crazy prices. The manufacturers are letting some slide through.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Some folks must be satisfied with their stockpile
I think that's the key... regardless of price (unless they just ran out of money) people have sured up their own stock to be more comfortable or with a reduction in shooting have enough to last a while. Either way- it's a good thing for the masses.

I will need to reload my components shelf, but I'm ok to ride this out without a reduction in my consumption. (i've slowed due to work, not supplies.)

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will need to reload my components shelf, but I'm ok to ride this out without a reduction in my consumption. (i've slowed due to work, not supplies.)
I have picked up a couple components (bullets) in styles and weights I normally don't use simply because the ones I like have been unavailable for close to 16-months. That said, taking a small step outside our comfort zone isn't a bad thing now and then.

Grumpy

1 - 20 of 46 Posts