1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I've been able to find the projectiles I've always used but have waited a while to get them. One order was placed at Thanksgiving and just arrived last week. One from another supplier with similar time frame just before that.

I have bought some "new to me" stuff but not because I had to- I had never loaded 147 gr in 9mm or 38 super so bought to try out when I came across a good deal at pre-covid pricing.

What do you use that you haven't been able to find?

·
Premium Member
8,979 Posts
Unbeknownst to the public, the Egyptians have been unloading the ammo by cover of darkness.......

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
The word in the street is that a big load of ammo and components is on the way, but is currently stuck in the Suez canal.
Man, I hope so!

There are already a lot of companies saying they have inventory tied up on ships waiting there... I;m surprised that in this day and age they haven't either widened it or added a 2nd canal to speed it up and protect against a closure.

What I read said almost 10% of the worlds shipping trade uses it and it generates $8-$9 Billion annually. (and climbing)

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I;m surprised that in this day and age they haven't either widened it or added a 2nd canal to speed it up and protect against a closure.
They did a few years ago. Then they just built bigger ships. Hard to fit anything crosswise through a canal. :) Maybe the pilot was drunk? Honest Officer, I just had two.

Grumpy

·
Registered
24,176 Posts
They did a few years ago. Then they just built bigger ships. Hard to fit anything crosswise through a canal. :) Maybe the pilot was drunk? Honest Officer, I just had two.

Grumpy
Those Suez canal pilots are a joke anyway. A kid could pilot a ship through that ditch. They require you to have one as just another scam for those desert rats to make money. Almost as much of a joke as the headlight crews that you also have to hire. They make you put this gigantic headlight on your bow, that they of course supply you with at an outrageous price along with a crew of about fifty "electricians, technicians, roustabouts, fakirs, and general all around thieves that ride with you all of the way through and essentially steal anything that is not nailed down.

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Those Suez canal pilots are a joke anyway.
Oh but they know the canal like the back of their hands. Hopefully we're talking about their right hands.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ummmm, no!
The minute things get that bad, they will just ban the material necessary to make them. Good lord, that’s worse than loading .380’s!!
.380s? Try .25 acps. They are a real test of your resolve. :)

Grumpy

·
Super Moderator
14,883 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Hey, the method I posted beats the method using old cap gun caps Zi found. I was looking for a video on how primers are actually made and found this one. If SHTF you do this I bet.

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ughhh, I can’t imagine. The dern primer is as big as the base!
Powder charges for the .25 are another PIA. I had to weigh each charge and they were so small that one or two flakes were enough to move it from close to over. Additionally, most .25 acp pistols don't look the strongest. :rolleyes:

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
8,979 Posts
Hey, the method I posted beats the method using old cap gun caps Zi found. I was looking for a video on how primers are actually made and found this one. If SHTF you do this I bet.
Yes, but then we would have another problem. El Zilcho powder.
Good idea though if the jerks decide to simply ban primers.
You may have something here, but my plan is going to be a concerted effort to buy far more primers than I can possibly use by the time I’m worm food. I will make a living off selling them to Fletch in my waning years!!

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Honestly, with all of our fellow Forum members and resources, we could easily organize a huge buying group to buy everything in bulk. When available we could buy pallets of primers, pallets of powders, and bullets by the ton. The major draw back would be shipping. Since our members are spread across the country and the world, anything bulk purchased would have to be re-distributed to each other. Powder and primers would require whom ever had them to have Haz-Mat shipping abilities. Not unobtainable by any means, but adds some difficulty. Storage before redistributing would be another issue with the powders and primers. Food for thought. Many Gun Clubs buy items in bulk for the members, that said, most Gun Club members live within reasonable driving distance of the club so redistribution does not require additional shipping. Different circumstances here.

Grumpy

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

I think I at this point.
Hahaha... I can't wait to read about the guy who buys 50,000 primers at a gunshow for super cheap... gets home, sees the firing pin mark and realizes... "I just bought a crap ton of reloaded primers"🤔

21 - 40 of 46 Posts