1911Forum banner

Primers are still harder than Unicorns to find.

4K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  Nitro.45 
#1 ·
Over the last couple of months, as you who follow this sub-forum know, I've posted a few "heads up" when I noted powders and bullets available at some of the major outlets. Those with the ability to act quickly have been able to purchase several of the more common pistol powders and even a couple rifle powders. Bullets are starting to show up in a few calibers. If you load 9mm, you can find 115gr HP and FMJs, 124gr FMJ, and even a few bullets for .38 Supers. If load for the S&W 500 you can find a large selection. Bullets for .38 Spl and .357 Mag occasionally pop up, but not in all bullet weights. Some .45 acp bullets are around, but very few for the .45 Colt. .44 Remington Magnum bullets just don't seem to appear at the current time.

One item I have not found are primers. No standard or magnum primers of any type. Occasionally I'll see some posted at prices I would describe as crazy stupid. A small assortment of brass is available, Starline lists very few as "available", a few as "Backorder Accepted", and the vast majority as "Backorder Not Accepted".

With the two recent "Mass Shootings" in Colorado filling up the National Media the next wave of "Gun Control Legislation" is about to hit us. So, I for one don't look for things to return to anywhere near normal availability in the near future.

Fellow Forum members, hunker down it's going to get tight(er).

My $0.02
Grumpy

See less See more
Reactions: flgolfer29
#3 ·
Grumpy, this just feels different. I have been watching this since about the mid 1960’s. I have not seen things this acute. The internet helps. I do appreciate your efforts to help others with alerts to the forum on projectiles and powders. About the only thing I have bought in the last year has been new oddball size brass. My guess is when that dries up, it won’t be made again until the more common calibers are saturated again. And that could be awhile.

I wish I could be more optimistic.

#4 ·
Some claim the pandemic has made an impact on this, coupled with the election of an openly anti-gun President and a dangerously divided congress. Some claim it doesn't. We've had mass shootings in the past, but never connected with a forced 1 1/2 year "lockdown". This time it's more like the perfect storm, all the worst potential conditions coming together at one time.

Grumpy

#6 ·
There was a post here a month or so ago about a discord group... real time alerts to anything and everything ammo and reloading. And you sign up for alerts to what you want.

I signed up just to stay informed.... and I've had opportunities to buy primers at least 2x week since. All varieties. (you've got to be quick but they are popping up almost daily) Every powder I have ever wanted seems to pop up every day or two. Projectiles & brass as well. Loaded ammo is there as well but prices vary widely. Reloading presses, dies, powder measures, etc., again sign up for what interests you.

#11 ·
I don't this is any different at all. I was not long into reloading during the first Obama election. I remember waiting quite a while to find supplies. This happens pretty much every time we have a presidential election, especially if folks think the Dems are going to get the white house. As I've mentioned on this forum a few times in the recent past....learn your lesson this time. I did all those years ago. I started buying supplies about 1-1/2 years ago and should be good for another 1-2 years now. So buy what you can now when you find it, and when things get back to normal, keep stocked up ahead. And by all means, start buying BEFORE we get close to the next presidential election.

#17 ·
This is a little different than the Obozo mess. You could still go to a gun show and grab powder for $35 and primers were available here and there. This is a complete vacuum, largely due to the Virus stopping supply and manufacture globally and the stock getting sucked up.

#21 ·
I've been able to find the projectiles I've always used but have waited a while to get them. One order was placed at Thanksgiving and just arrived last week. One from another supplier with similar time frame just before that.

I have bought some "new to me" stuff but not because I had to- I had never loaded 147 gr in 9mm or 38 super so bought to try out when I came across a good deal at pre-covid pricing.

What do you use that you haven't been able to find?

#22 ·
The word in the street is that a big load of ammo and components is on the way, but is currently stuck in the Suez canal.

Reactions: Old Grumpy
#24 ·
Man, I hope so!

There are already a lot of companies saying they have inventory tied up on ships waiting there... I;m surprised that in this day and age they haven't either widened it or added a 2nd canal to speed it up and protect against a closure.

What I read said almost 10% of the worlds shipping trade uses it and it generates $8-$9 Billion annually. (and climbing)

#37 ·
Yes, but then we would have another problem. El Zilcho powder.
Good idea though if the jerks decide to simply ban primers.
You may have something here, but my plan is going to be a concerted effort to buy far more primers than I can possibly use by the time I’m worm food. I will make a living off selling them to Fletch in my waning years!!

#39 ·
Honestly, with all of our fellow Forum members and resources, we could easily organize a huge buying group to buy everything in bulk. When available we could buy pallets of primers, pallets of powders, and bullets by the ton. The major draw back would be shipping. Since our members are spread across the country and the world, anything bulk purchased would have to be re-distributed to each other. Powder and primers would require whom ever had them to have Haz-Mat shipping abilities. Not unobtainable by any means, but adds some difficulty. Storage before redistributing would be another issue with the powders and primers. Food for thought. Many Gun Clubs buy items in bulk for the members, that said, most Gun Club members live within reasonable driving distance of the club so redistribution does not require additional shipping. Different circumstances here.

Grumpy

#45 ·
At this point in time. If lack of primers is causing you grief. Then you just do not get it. Just sayin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.